lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
jhall8569
Not Yet Wild

Default Lithium Build Voltage Question

I am in the process of converting from LA to Lithium in my 2013 TXT 48v cart
I will be converting to AC with a complete system from Navitas and can run up to 72v with this set up....There are 72v 50ah packs available with BMS (chevy volt packs) my question is .... would I be better off with one 72v pack or just keep it at 48v running 2 packs to make it 100ah....I know the more AH I have the further distance I can go between charges...I am just not sure what one 72v pack at 50ah distance would be?...I like the thought of more volts but if I wouldn't get any distance out of it before a charge it may make more since to stick to the 48v packs...thanks for any direction
Jody
jhall8569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lithium Build Voltage Question

more Ah = more distance **if you keep the V the same**.

Increasing the V will give you more speed potentially but a 72V 50Ah pack will absolutely provide more range than a 48v 50Ah pack. If I had to guess, a 48v 100Ah pack would deliver somewhat greater range but that's just a guess...

For my conversion I went 58.8v 45Ah. 58.8v because the stock controller on my 2011 TXT48 would still work. 45Ah because I can go 90 but 45 might be enough.

So far I've been having charger issues so I haven't fully tested it. I did go 3.80 miles the other day, started around 56v and ended around 52v. The pack limits are 58.8v to 44.8v so I want to keep it inside that. My self imposed limits are 57.4v to 46.2v.

So a rough guess of range for my cart is 10.6 miles from 57.4v to 46.2v. This may be a fair bit off as I don't have a lot of empirical data yet.

I did order the TXT48300 Alltrax controller from ScottyB but have yet to install it. It just arrived. I had ScottyB set it to 45.5 cutoff voltage. Still above my 44.6 pack minimum but lower than my target.

It'll be interesting to see what you get with your pack and your build.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Increasing the V will give you more speed potentially but a 72V 50Ah pack will absolutely provide more range than a 48v 50Ah pack. If I had to guess, a 48v 100Ah pack would deliver somewhat greater range but that's just a guess...

I meant the 48v 100Ah pack would give somewhat greater range than the 72v 50Ah pack...

When I re-read that it sounded like I was saying the 100Ah was a little better than the 50Ah for the 48v pack... Not what I intended to write.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
Precedent Tom
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
more Ah = more distance **if you keep the V the same**.

For my conversion I went 58.8v 45Ah. 58.8v because the stock controller on my 2011 TXT48 would still work. 45Ah because I can go 90 but 45 might be enough.

So far I've been having charger issues so I haven't fully tested it. I did go 3.80 miles the other day, started around 56v and ended around 52v. The pack limits are 58.8v to 44.8v so I want to keep it inside that. My self imposed limits are 57.4v to 46.2v.

So a rough guess of range for my cart is 10.6 miles from 57.4v to 46.2v. This may be a fair bit off as I don't have a lot of empirical data yet.

I did order the TXT48300 Alltrax controller from ScottyB but have yet to install it. It just arrived. I had ScottyB set it to 45.5 cutoff voltage. Still above my 44.6 pack minimum but lower than my target.

It'll be interesting to see what you get with your pack and your build.
I am not questioning but asking: Are you sure the voltage is right there, i thought it was 58.8 to 50.0 for the leaf packs, everything i thought i had read was 50.0 was the most to discharge them?
Precedent Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precedent Tom View Post
I am not questioning but asking: Are you sure the voltage is right there, i thought it was 58.8 to 50.0 for the leaf packs, everything i thought i had read was 50.0 was the most to discharge them?
bronsonj is utilizing Chevy Volt batteries.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:58 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yup, Chevy Volt packs is the route I took. I should have been clearer, sorry about that.

My info, as limited as it is, is related to Volt packs. I also chose to go with a 14S Chevy Volt pack where most go with a 12S as that's the form factor they come in. I figured if it were too easy then it wasn't worth it... :)

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #7
Precedent Tom
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Yup, Chevy Volt packs is the route I took. I should have been clearer, sorry about that.

My info, as limited as it is, is related to Volt packs. I also chose to go with a 14S Chevy Volt pack where most go with a 12S as that's the form factor they come in. I figured if it were too easy then it wasn't worth it... :)

Sorry for any confusion.
Gotcha, thanks guys.
Precedent Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall8569 View Post
I am in the process of converting from LA to Lithium in my 2013 TXT 48v cart
I will be converting to AC with a complete system from Navitas...
I've done an internet search for a company that sells these Navitas batteries, but have not been successful. Since this technology is Lifepo4, I would be interested in seeing what the 48-V would cost.

Perhaps you could provide me with a link as to where you purchased them, and what the cost was.

Thanks much!!

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #9
jhall8569
Not Yet Wild

DaveTM

Navitas is the company that makes the controller,motor,relay, AC system....
the batteries are from chevy volt...sorry if my post was confusing
jhall8569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
Riso
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have 2 Chevy Volt batteries running at 50.4 volts 94ah fully charged I can get 30 miles out of a charge and have 10% soc left. I would assume I would get 15 miles out of a single battery but I have never tried it.
Riso is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!