lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2022, 08:42 PM   #1
Coondawgg
Not Yet Wild

Default 84 ezgo marathon, good price???

I’ve been looking for a project cart for my son and I. I’ve come across a 84 EZGO electric Marathon cart. Guy wants 2200. I haven’t seen it personally yet but he says it runs although it’s a little sluggish on hills. Batteries are from 2014. 6” lift kit, body seems to be in decent shape. New charger, new brake lines and brakes although not installed. Eventually I’d like to convert to 48v. Thoughts? What are things to look for if I go see it? Thinking of offering 1500 but really have no idea.

Thanks for any input.
Coondawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2022, 03:34 PM   #2
coosa
Gone Wild

Default Re: 84 ezgo marathon, good price???

Nobody else has commented, so I will give it a shot. That seems very high to me. I bought a 1984 model in 1998 for $150. That cart is 38 years old and most don't hold together that long.

If it's stock, it's a resistor cart, and it will be expensive to convert it to take a controller. It will need batteries, and that's over $1000 these days.

If I wanted a project I would look for one more modern for a starting point, and I would hope to find it for a lot less than 2200. But good luck finding what you want!
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:49 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

8 year old batteries are only worth what you will get for the cores. They are way past their prime at best. I agree that 2200 is way too much for that old a cart unless it has lots of nice upgrades. I would offer maybe $500.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:50 PM   #4
adrianp89
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I wouldn't think so. You can grab some early 2000 TXTs for under 3k. Batteries are due for a change.

If you want a project cart look for something with a good frame under $500.
adrianp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 04:01 PM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

That's a high price with the batteries that old. Marathons are notorious for the battery trays rusting, which isn't a big deal and can be redone, but it's not nearly as simple as on a TXT. If it's an 84 it might have the horizontally mounted motor (pointing front to back instead of parallel to the rear axle.) There are few if any upgrades for that setup, so you would have to find a newer rear end, as well as convert the cart to a controller system if it's stock. It may already be a controller cart because resistor systems don't work for long in lifted carts without a meltdown. I'd still say the price is too high.

Just my 2¢.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 04:10 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Prices must vary a lot by location. In CA you cannot find any running cart under 2000 dollars. Decent looking - solid state is 3000 and lifted with seats and wheels are 4500 dollars and up up UP .

Gone are the days of $500 fixers.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 04:44 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Everything is expensive in CA I guess. We're talking a 38 year old cart here. I don't know where the OP lives but around here in Az, you can find a decent 48V cart for that price that is < 20 years old.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 01:46 AM   #8
Coondawgg
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
Nobody else has commented, so I will give it a shot. That seems very high to me. I bought a 1984 model in 1998 for $150. That cart is 38 years old and most don't hold together that long.

If it's stock, it's a resistor cart, and it will be expensive to convert it to take a controller. It will need batteries, and that's over $1000 these days.

If I wanted a project I would look for one more modern for a starting point, and I would hope to find it for a lot less than 2200. But good luck finding what you want!
Thanks for the reply man. Well, I went ahead and bought it. Albeit, before I read these replies. Haha Talked him down to 1500. After reading the replies on here, sounds like I got my hands full. Haha. I live in the pacific NW and I’ve been watching carts for a little while now and what I find is $0-1000 is rusting, out in the weather, needs basically everything replaced/fixed/cleaned up. $1000-2000 maybe runs, body is in ok condition but still probably needs a fair amount of work. $2-5000 is runs, basic cart, no frills but probably in fairly good condition. $5000+ is turn key ready to rock cart.

The cart is in pretty good shape. Battery compartment shows a little rust but overall not bad. Body and suspension seem to be pretty solid. Cart moves although very sluggish up hills(maybe 3-5 mph). I knew batteries were going to need to be replaced. Probably the first thing I’m gonna do. I’m willing to put a some work/money but not exactly sure where to start. Suggestions?
Old 12-16-2022, 01:52 AM   #9
Coondawgg
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianp89 View Post
I wouldn't think so. You can grab some early 2000 TXTs for under 3k. Batteries are due for a change.

If you want a project cart look for something with a good frame under $500.
I live in PNW and either I’m looking in the wrong spot or carts worth looking at under 500 don’t exist. Either way, I bit the bullet and bought. Talked him down to 1500.

Motor is a perpendicular mount (front to back). I haven’t really had a chance to look at controller although I suspect it’s original. I definitely want to upgrade the whole system but not sure what I can in stages or if I have to do kind of everything at once. Suggestions?
Old 12-16-2022, 01:57 AM   #10
Coondawgg
Not Yet Wild

Currently the cart is staying in a neighbors garage because it’s a Xmas present for my son as a project for he and I to work on. So I can’t really go out and look it over until after Xmas. But what would it take to convert it to a modern controller? The little bit of research I’ve done tonight seems like I might be able to do it for around 500 but not completely sure.

Tags
ezgo, marathon, price
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO