lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2023, 09:39 PM   #1
Coondawgg
Not Yet Wild

Default 84 EZGO electric Marathon wiring question

Wiring question for my 84 ezgo resistor cart. I am in the middle of tearing apart my cart to upgrade to a modern day controller but I want to understand the wiring of my original setup for general knowledge.

I haven’t been able to find an exact diagram of my cart but what I have seen is that under no circumstances have I seen a diagram that shows a motor directly wired to a positive terminal. I see that usually one of the 4 terminal posts on the motor will go directly to the negative. My cart has the S2 post wired directly to the positive terminal on one of the batteries. Is this correct? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for my 84 EZGO marathon cart? Thanks all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 960F58CC-C8A5-4B48-88A0-3C85BF3CDF65.jpg (142.0 KB, 0 views)
Coondawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2023, 07:28 AM   #2
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 84 EZGO electric Marathon wiring question

Some previous owner may have wired it incorrectly.

Check out this post in the stickys section. https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=1536

Look through the stickys for others. Go to home, then electric EZGO and scroll down.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 07:33 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Follow the first link that KGSC posted. You will have to figure out how to make it bigger.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=177536
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 01:15 PM   #4
Coondawgg
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Follow the first link that KGSC posted. You will have to figure out how to make it bigger.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=177536
I did come across that and it definitely is close to what I have. But even in that pic, there’s no A2 or any motor connection straight to a positive terminal.

I actually private messaged that poster a few days ango asking if he had a clearer picture he could send as I think that’s probably exactly what I need.
Old 01-09-2023, 11:05 PM   #5
Coondawgg
Not Yet Wild

So after further review I have determined this is basically my wiring diagram save for a couple things. 1) on my cart, my motor terminals are labeled S1 and S2 (stator 1&2) and on the diagram it’s F1 & F2 (field 1 & 2). As far as I know, they are the same thing. 2) The diagram has a cable going from F2 to a negative battery terminal, essentially ending the circuit and my cart has a cable going from S2 to the positive battery terminal on that battery. If I understand this correctly, that is hooked up incorrectly and effectively removes one of the batteries from the series correct? So even though I have 6, 6V batteries, Im only running on 30 volts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 335DDAF9-4542-46C8-9A41-29D07D132EBC.jpeg (149.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-11-2023, 04:02 PM   #6
coosa
Gone Wild

There is no way a + terminal should go directly to the motor. The + power goes through the speed control and the resistors. Sounds like someone really messed that cart up before you got it.

I have posted these before from when I had an 84 resistor cart. I couldn't find my original post, so made a picture for you. Hope this helps

coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:26 PM   #7
Coondawgg
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
There is no way a + terminal should go directly to the motor. The + power goes through the speed control and the resistors. Sounds like someone really messed that cart up before you got it.

I have posted these before from when I had an 84 resistor cart. I couldn't find my original post, so made a picture for you. Hope this helps[/img][/url]
😂 that’s what I thought. I knew someone on her had that diagram. That’s exactly what I needed (albeit, 2 weeks ago haha) I’m not to sharpest person when it comes to the magic of electricity but that setup struck me as fairly odd. I’m curious though as to WHAT or HOW this would have affected the motor/power output. Unfortunately I have ripped everything out in preparation for modernization so this conversation is purely academic, but I’m curious as to what this would have done to my power output. The cart did ok(definitely not great) on level ground but was a total dog uphill. I can’t figure out if I was only losing 1/6 of the power output from the batteries or if the motor itself was not functioning properly. I thought the stators essentially had a power “in” (S1) and a power “out” (s2), again my electrical knowledge is weak at best so this could be wrong but if that’s true then it looked like the stators wouldn’t have been powered at all. Which obviously isn’t correct because it did run. Maybe the field generated was just extremely weak as 5 6v batteries would be pushing against 1 6V battery. Thanks again for the pictures.

Tags
electric wiring, ezgo, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO