lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
earlk
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 Series DS won't climb hills

Looking for help on what to check on my 97 DS Series cart. I have installed new batteries and all load test ok. Bought new heavy guage wires and chamged all wiring. All connections are tight. Cart runs great on the level and downhill but even the slightest grade slows the cart down. Any hill and I can walk faster. Thanks for any advice
earlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 97 Series DS won't climb hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlk View Post
Looking for help on what to check on my 97 DS Series cart. I have installed new batteries and all load test ok. Bought new heavy guage wires and chamged all wiring. All connections are tight. Cart runs great on the level and downhill but even the slightest grade slows the cart down. Any hill and I can walk faster. Thanks for any advice
ALWAYS WHEN POSTING SHOW MAKE, MODEL, VOLTAGE and if in doubt post serial number found under passenger glove box on frame.
Your cart could be a resistor speed controlled 36 volt cart, or it could be a 48 volt soilid state controlled cart in two different forms ( series motor or regen-IQ-Sepex motor ) all of which handle power and speed in different ways.
When seeking to increase overall power many things come into play. One is that stock golf carts are NOT made to climb mountains, only to climb low designed golf course mounds not hills. Overall condition of complete cart is major factor that must include any items like larger diameter tires, lift kits, extra weight like rear seats, top, windshield, extra batterys that were not in original cart design. Another factor is that STOCK golf carts are built to NOT exceed 12-14 MPH and have 2 1/2-3 1/2 HP motors so as to keep members safe.
First of all "New Batterys" can mean alot of different amounts of power. Battery power can be found as simpley as picking up different brands and amp hour rated batterys. Lead is POWER and more weight means more power. So often people think that cheap batterys will work as well as expensive golf cart batterys but they are WRONG. Look above at STICKIES under "Golf Cart Battery Comparison" for some examples.
"Bought new heavy guage wiring" stock is 6 gauage and most go with 4 to 2 guage welding cable ( which is multy-strand flexible cable able to feed more power ) that will ( HELP ) but only IF ALL 6 gauge wiring is replaced with new wire. Many do not replace cables going to and from F&R switch and motor.
Many think by going to gas engined golf carts they will go faster and have more power, but in older models this is often not the case as again speed and power are regulated by small HP motors to match electric carts, and any changes cost big dollars.
To get where you want to be will be very expensive and includes motor, batterys, controllers, etc? Not to discourage you but "Just add money until you get what you want"?? Many of us have made the needed changes because we like carting and so does our families.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
earlk
Not Yet Wild

The cart is a 97 Club Car 48v. It is a Series model. The Serial # is A9735-696797. I replaced all the wires with 4 Guage wires including all the wires from the F/R switch and the motor. The batteries were bought at my local golf cart dealer and are made by NAPA. Even before I replaced the batteries and wires I had the same problem pulling hills. There are no extra seats and no windshield. The cart has stock tires. I am not looking to increase speed except when climbing hills
Old 07-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
nelly1052
Getting Wild

Sounds like you need to upgrade the controller. You probably have a 225 amp stock controller. 400 to 500 amp will make a huge difference. Of course this assumes you properly checked the batteries and wiring.
nelly1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly1052 View Post
Sounds like you need to upgrade the controller. You probably have a 225 amp stock controller. 400 to 500 amp will make a huge difference. Of course this assumes you properly checked the batteries and wiring.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

did you break the batteries in right? it does in fact make a difference.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
earlk
Not Yet Wild

The batteries were charged according to instructions received from the shop where I bought them
Old 07-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

It's a series cart with no mods... That's their nature.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car