lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
kristopher2247
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default question about 6volt and 12volt batteries

hi im new to the golf cart world and my batteries are 6volts and i have 6 of them. i was wanting to know if i could get 12volt batteries to put in it cause i can get them for 20.00 a battery. but does it hook up the same,and will i need 6 or 3 if anybody could help that would be great. thank you kris
kristopher2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: question about 6volt and 12volt batteries

12 volt batts wont hold up in a cart. even using deep cycle batteries doesnt work well at all. The Golf cart batteries have a greater Amp hr rating than your regular 12 volt batts.

Call a Golf cart shop if you are on a budget and see if they have a good set of used batteries. dont mix and match them. make sure they are all the same brand and have the same date stamp on them.

This is just a basic answer others may post even greater details.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
freddmc
Gone Wild

At 20 bucks a battery I would think its worth a try. I don't have a sparky so maybe I'm out to lunch. Wouldn't be the first time though. LOL
freddmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You would wire up only 3 - 12v to get 36v. Just like it is now with three less. Regular car batteries will not last long nor will you go very far. Deep cell marine one's will work better and last longer if you can get them for 20 bucks. Don't mix and match. I use Costco golf cart batteries. good deal and work well. It all depends on what YOU are doing with the cart. everyone's needs and budgets are different.

joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
kristopher2247
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The batteries that I can get for $20 are for golf carts...I was just curious as to whether I should run 6 batteries or 3 batteries. Someone told me that the voltage would be the same but the amps would be higher if I ran 6.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I wonder if those are those batteries that they had all the issues with in the Club Cars. they made a kit for them to switch back to 6 volt packs.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
athomas03
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopher2247 View Post
The batteries that I can get for $20 are for golf carts...I was just curious as to whether I should run 6 batteries or 3 batteries. Someone told me that the voltage would be the same but the amps would be higher if I ran 6.
If you parallel two packs of 3 you can use 6 x 12v. Then your controller, charger, solenoid still see 36v and you'll have double the run time of one pack of 3 x 12's and double the amperage if needed. Make sure they are the same size as the 6 volts in your cart now, if they aren't group 24 you'll have to figure out a way to get them under the seat or use your bagwell.
athomas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
kristopher2247
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by athomas03 View Post
If you parallel two packs of 3 you can use 6 x 12v. Then your controller, charger, solenoid still see 36v and you'll have double the run time of one pack of 3 x 12's and double the amperage if needed. Make sure they are the same size as the 6 volts in your cart now, if they aren't group 24 you'll have to figure out a way to get them under the seat or use your bagwell.
thanks i think im going to do what you said. thank kris
Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

FYI > if these ARE GC Bateries they are huge and you are not going to fit 6 of them in a GC....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO