lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Question Throttle Type?

I am new to golf carts and have been attempting to do some research prior to purchasing a controller. I have a 1997 CC DS, 48 volt with a D377 motor. I believe I am having trouble with the Curtis controller so I am thinking of upgrading to a 400 amp Alltrax NPX4844. On the order application, it asks for "throttle Type." Can someone explain? Does anyone know what I might want to order for "throttle type?"

If the controller doesn't help my problem, then I will think about purchasing a new motor. I can drive all day with my trojan batteries, but after an initial spurt of speed, it quickly dies down to a slowwwww pace. It will go for miles on that slow pace, but the problem is slowwwwww. After reading a lot of stuff on-line, I get the idea that the old controller might be the issue here. It seems like, if I take the foot completely off the accelerator, and then floor it, it will spurt for a minute and then settle down to a crawl. I have the old Curtis 1204/410, 225 amp controller. And someone previously had used a marker on it to write "bad."

So, the original question is, how would I answer the question "throttle type?"
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Throttle Type?

. . . I think this is what you are looking for:

ITS (inductive)
Resistive 0-5K ohm (+/-10%) (2-Wire)
Resistive 5K-0 ohm (+/-10%) (3-wire)

. . .

Disclaimer: If wrong, someone will correct me . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Talking Re: Throttle Type?

Thank you. I am going to assume that I am ordering a 0-5k ohm. I believe that is what the Curtis is that I am replacing. I knew I should have paid more attention to shop in high school.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I doubt your controller is causing this problem. Likely you are describing a battery problem. Controllers do not open all the way and then restrict the flow of amperage later....... it more likely the supply of amperage is just not there to sustain the draw.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hmm, interesting. But, would I still get the length of run/time on it, if the batteries are bad? I was thinking the batteries also, since I am sure they had set for long periods of time. But, they do go a long way, even if at a slower pace. Even my wife complained today, when she took it to the pool for her daily water aerobics. And if my wife says it is slow, then it's slow. Anyway, I wanted to upgrade to a 400amp controller. Too bad I am such a novice at electric motors. Don't get me wrong, I trust your experience on these things.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Romrok
Not Yet Wild

I am pretty sure a 97 clubcar will be 5k-0 ohm. I believe the conversion from 0-5k happened in 96, around the same time they reversed their gas engines.

Rom
Romrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Listen to scottyb, about the controller. It most likely is not the problem. Controllers either work or they don't.

Most likely your problem is battery pack related. How old are the batteries? What is the pack voltage after they charge and sit for awhile, say 1 day? If you have a volt meter, can you measure voltage while you are running for a short period?
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the advice/suggestions. As you can see, this is all new to me.

The controller: If seems that the one on there now is is a Curtis 1204/410 225am which is 0-5k. Like I said in earlier post, someone has written "bad" on it in magic marker.

Regarding the batteries: Charged them and waited 24hrs before testing them. The total charge is approx. 51 volts. I have not tested them with a load on them. I just moved to Florida so I don't have all my tools here yet. Most of our stuff is still in NC.

Since the controller is only a 225amp box, I have ordered a 400 amp replacement. Whether that helps any, doesn't really matter, since I wanted to upgrade to 400amp anyway. Once I get it installed, I will then take the cart to a shop to have the batteries properly load tested. They are 2-3 years old so they may very well be shot, although they charge up and hold the charge. They also get me quite a ways on one charge, just REAL SLOW.

I am also going to put 22 inch tires on the rear since the current rear tires are bald. By the info discerned from this forum, I will need to raise the rear a bit so they clear. I have some shackles to raise it a couple inches. If all this goes ok and I finally get the old cart running properly, I will then start upgrading it. All I want from the cart is 19-20 mph so we don't get overrun by these local seniors when we are traveling down the road.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Maybe your throttle is not opening all the way.
It could be a mechanical problem in the linkage. Common among CC DS.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Interesting. Would I find that problem in that pie shaped speed switch? Or, in the throttle pedal mechanism? And would that cause it to initially take off fast and then almost immediately slow to a steady pace? Sorry, I still haven't run it with a GPS to check the actual speed. I might get time to do that today, once my wife gets back from the pool.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car