lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
nuspeed95
Not Yet Wild

Default Ground Strap and trottle Cable is HOT

I have a 15hp Lifan in CC DS. It ran fine all summer and then the starter generator went out and at the same time the throttle cable burned up. I had the starter gen rebuilt at a local shop. I put it back in and it started up fine but the grounding strap got so hot it was smoking and the throttle cable got pretty warm. I'm totally stumped at this point
Any ideas?
nuspeed95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
fstg21
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Smile Re: Ground Strap and trottle Cable is HOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuspeed95 View Post
I have a 15hp Lifan in CC DS. It ran fine all summer and then the starter generator went out and at the same time the throttle cable burned up. I had the starter gen rebuilt at a local shop. I put it back in and it started up fine but the grounding strap got so hot it was smoking and the throttle cable got pretty warm. I'm totally stumped at this point
Any ideas?
How many grounds? Should be 3.

1 from starter gen to battery, one from the battery to the chassis and one from the battery to the engine itself.

You could have insufficient grounding or a deadshort somewhere.

Make sure at least 2 of the grounds are 4ga or better. Then disconnect every thing but the starter gen. If it's gone, add back other loads until it either comes back or is gone for good because of better grounds.

Could also be the starter gen is wired incorrectly and continuing to try and start the engine while it's running.

My guess is not enough grounds.
fstg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
rib33024

Default Re: Ground Strap and trottle Cable is HOT

x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstg21 View Post

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstg21 View Post
How many grounds? Should be 3.

1 from starter gen to battery, one from the battery to the chassis and one from the battery to the engine itself.

You could have insufficient grounding or a deadshort somewhere.

Make sure at least 2 of the grounds are 4ga or better. Then disconnect every thing but the starter gen. If it's gone, add back other loads until it either comes back or is gone for good because of better grounds.

Could also be the starter gen is wired incorrectly and continuing to try and start the engine while it's running.

This is good advice!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If it starts and does not kill the battery when off, I'd maybe guess you have a short after the VR positive to negative. You only need to ground the gen since the clone needs no power, but good idea to ground the engine too, this assuming you have no lights/etc that ground to the frame which is not the engine cradle the gen is on.

Or the gen is screwed up and drawing lots of power to start it, if so it should cool off after some driving around (not starting). Or your ground cable is bad connection or internally. Hot wires are too much current or that is the most restrictive place in the wiring....meaning could be a bad connection if the wires are sized properly.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
motojoe1988
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I had a similar issue in my g2. Starter went put and I was popping fueses. Cause my f.r cables to get hot. Funny how it was at a golf cart mechanic and he couldn't figure out my issue with the starter going bad and the fuse.
motojoe1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The starter/gen stays connected and charges once the engine is above idle rpm. The VR powers up the windings via the small wires to make it charge when needed. A DC motor will become a generator once its base speed is exceeded, with this the VR can basically turn it on and off to control charging.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps