lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Lithium 58V battery Charger -Adjusting Voltage

took a shot on a different style charger off ebay . Seller said it could be adjusted down to 58V for my Leaf packs, but I cant seem to get it below 60v. I found 2 trim pots and have made all the adjustments allowed by these but when I test with a voltmeter I am between 60-62v

I know I should probably buy the charger that was recommended off amazon and be done with it but is there anything I am missing with the one I already have?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B93DD631-19FE-413B-8D28-B709D36DCEFF.jpg (164.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 30D6D3EF-0B3D-4243-8CE5-0A3BEB9F0DC8.jpg (119.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg D53AC651-26A1-475D-A491-0808DBE442D7.jpg (171.8 KB, 0 views)
jeffro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium 58V battery Charger -Adjusting Voltage

Post a picture of the charger board (...I see you updated with the picture).

Did You count the turns and put the trimpots back to where they were?

One of those likely controls the maximum power or finishing current so You need to be careful to put them back if you did not measure a difference.

Last edited by Sergio; 12-19-2019 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: picture was added.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not W1 (the one on the close-up photo), but the other trimpot near where the DC power output to the charger is connected.

Without a load (DC side unplugged), mark the location (take a good photo) and turn the trimpot counterclockwise a couple of turns while measuring the output voltage.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

ok thanks,

i can get voltage to adjust but cant get it any lower than 60.2v. the pot only has a one 360* turn. It will go up to 62v and down to 60.2
Old 12-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Then send the charger back since the label says "58.8v", it is obviously out of spec if the lowest voltage is 60.2v.

Make sure Your meter is reading correctly, at least try putting new batteries on the meter or using a different meter to verify the voltage reading.

Also make sure your turn the trimpot very very slowly since the 1 turn model has a much less granular change than the multi-turn model of the same value.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Then send the charger back since the label says "58.8v", it is obviously out of spec if the lowest voltage is 60.2v.

Make sure Your meter is reading correctly, at least try putting new batteries on the meter or using a different meter to verify the voltage reading.

Also make sure your turn the trimpot very very slowly since the 1 turn model has a much less granular change than the multi-turn model of the same value.
Kind of what I was thinking. Seems to far out of spec. If it was actually putting out the specified 58.8v then I should be have had enough adjustment to get it to 58.0

Although I guess I should verify that my meter is reading correctly
Old 01-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #7
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Apparently my voltmeter was out of spec. Bought a new one and with the trim pot adjusted down now I am reading 58.1v
Old 01-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
Apparently my voltmeter was out of spec. Bought a new one and with the trim pot adjusted down now I am reading 58.1v
Good news but I personally think 4.15v is too high of a charging voltage unless you need all the capacity you can get out of the pack.

According to batteryuniversity data for every 0.10V drop below 4.20V/cell charge it doubles the cycle life expectancy of the pack.

I am currently charging mine to 4.05v but may lower it to 4.0v as I evaluate the Regen brake intensity after a full charge a little longer and get a better feel for how long the charge lasts for my driving/use conditions.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Good news but I personally think 4.15v is too high of a charging voltage unless you need all the capacity you can get out of the pack.

According to batteryuniversity data for every 0.10V drop below 4.20V/cell charge it doubles the cycle life expectancy of the pack.

I am currently charging mine to 4.05v but may lower it to 4.0v as I evaluate the Regen brake intensity after a full charge a little longer and get a better feel for how long the charge lasts for my driving/use conditions.
Thanks. So you are thinking 56 v is the ideal charge for max battery life?
Old 04-18-2020, 08:40 AM   #10
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

sergio, I am trying to understand this correctly, but if I have the BMS set to cutoff the charge at 57.4V (high cell voltage set to 4.1) does it matter (within reason) what the charger is set too ? (other than maybe having 2 fail-safes on the HV,)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium