lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #1
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default YDRE Lithium Conversion - Need new shocks

I have a second YDRE (2009) that I have converted to a Leaf pack. Been driving it for almost a year now. The suspension is way too stiff with the loss of 300 lbs of battery weight. My first YDRE (2012) has been running a Leaf pack for almost 5 years now. PingEye3 helped me out by getting me a set of rear shocks from a gas YDRE. That greatly improved my ride - now my Wife's ride. I would like to find a set of softer shocks for my newer build. Anyone have any experience trying to source shocks?
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
DDNorCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: YDRE Lithium Conversion - Need new shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I have a second YDRE (2009) that I have converted to a Leaf pack. Been driving it for almost a year now. The suspension is way too stiff with the loss of 300 lbs of battery weight. My first YDRE (2012) has been running a Leaf pack for almost 5 years now. PingEye3 helped me out by getting me a set of rear shocks from a gas YDRE. That greatly improved my ride - now my Wife's ride. I would like to find a set of softer shocks for my newer build. Anyone have any experience trying to source shocks?
Hi Volt, I have been following those posts recently going back several years. I have the same need for my newer 2016 Drive refurb. The suspension is bone-jarring stiff. I was researching the shocks from the gas models as a potential solution. However, in today's supply chain, everyone is telling me they are same p/n. Maybe the older one's were not? Thx DD
DDNorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That is what I have been seeing. I have a set of gas cart shocks in my other cart and they are not the same as the ones in my electric. The spring diameter is smaller and the suspension is noticeably softer. I have hesitated to buy new ones because I'm pretty sure they would be like the stiff ones I'm trying to replace. I don't know enough of the specs to buy shocks from another application. I think that the shocks in the newer Yamaha lithium carts are different and won't work in our carts.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:01 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I don't necessarily know if your shocks are the issue here. When I lost 400-lbs (I replaced 8 FLA's) the ride was bone jarring when a bump was hit.

My cart had a 4 spring leaf spring on each side. So, I simply removed two of the smaller springs on each side and it made a world of difference. My kidney's are sending me a Christmas card every year now!!

If you have a 3 or more leaf spring, the individual springs are easy to remove. Just a little time and a ratchet\wrench\impact driver is a big help.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:25 PM   #5
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Dave, Volt is talking about a Yamaha cart. They don’t have leaf springs but instead coilovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yamaha is coil over shocks all around. Shock and spring are one unit - probably should not have called them shocks.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:10 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

OIC.....I don't know the anatomy of the Yamaha nor the CC. Just the EZ-GO. OTOH, coil over's would seem to be easier to tune with gas adjustable shocks....mebby?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:55 PM   #8
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

For Volt Amp and DDNorCal - I'll check with my buddy again and see what is available. I see that we need them for Drive and Drive2. Both of you PM me so I can get back to you easily. Won't find out until Tues. They are only open Tue - Fri.

DaveTM. FYI - The difference on the rear coil-overs is the electric cart (heavier) has coils made from 3/8" dia wire and gas (lighter) has 5/16", helping to give a little softer ride.

PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:02 PM   #9
DDNorCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

PingEye3 - thx a lot! The description of the thickness of the coil makes great sense! I was wondering if there is new stock of that available? Or are people finding older, used gas shocks? I have talked with three dealers so far and they are selling Gas or Electric version with the same part#. But cannot confirm if the part #is what is on my cart.

In the meantime, I have lowered the tire pressure to 20 PSI on the Kenda Kruizer LE 205/40R12 tires and will know if it is doing anything next time I am on the golf course bumpy cart paths!

I'll send a PM...
DDNorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:13 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Hi PingEye3! I would love to purchase a set of rear shocks designed for the Gas cart like the last set you got for me 5 years ago! Those are great! Everywhere I check online, there is no clear difference in what they are selling for replacement shocks for gas and electric Drive carts. You and I know that there is supposed to be a difference.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha