lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
Bob's Cay
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha and G 29 are frustrating!

Guys, I am new to carting and bought a 2012 G29 gas about 10 months ago. The cart was off program according to the dealer and was used in Florida at a golf course.

The cart ran great for the first 5 months but starting having problems starting and running during colder November temps. I thought it was just cold natured but service found fuel pump line "blockage". That lead to my first thread here.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...ter-issue.html

I appreciate the information you guys have provided by the problem still exists or has gotten worse. It will only start for the weekend with a quick shot of starting fluid (not my favorite method to start anything) and will not run if the paper air filter is in place. On the occasion it does get running, it does run OK.

I am not a mechanic but as a long time boater I have my share of experience with "recreational engines". I have had several Yamaha engines and always found them to be dependable and well engineered. But cannot say the same for this golf cart.

Did I just get a lemon or what is the general consensus of Yamaha carts? I use it on weekends to carry people and gear up and down a mild grade to my dock at the lake about 300 yards. Generally I am happy with performance and do not plan to lift or increase power. Plan stock is fine. For this use should I have gone with electric or other manufacturer?
Bob's Cay is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha and G 29 are frustrating!

Did you remove, disassemble and clean the carb? Here's OEM carb parts...

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/carb-ki...%20carb%20jets

What you are experiencing is not normal...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YDRA carb.jpg (47.4 KB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Thanks Dave Per the parts break down, #11, the main jet is probably clogged , but the whole carb should be cleaned. Also, in cold/damp weather, the ethonal gas we get has a tendancy to attrack moisture and coagulate the oil, partially plugging the "pulsar" line that "drives the fuel pump. 3 lines going to the fuel pump, 1-from the fuel tank, 1- to the carb, and one that runs along and under the air box to the engine block. Take the "pulsar" line off at the fuel pump, and "blow" into the line towards the engine. If you feel any restriction, it will stop the fuel pump from working. Did you buy the wrong car...absulutly not!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Thanks Dave Per the parts break down, #11, the main jet is probably clogged , but the whole carb should be cleaned. Also, in cold/damp weather, the ethonal gas we get has a tendancy to attrack moisture and coagulate the oil, partially plugging the "pulsar" line that "drives the fuel pump. 3 lines going to the fuel pump, 1-from the fuel tank, 1- to the carb, and one that runs along and under the air box to the engine block. Take the "pulsar" line off at the fuel pump, and "blow" into the line towards the engine. If you feel any restriction, it will stop the fuel pump from working. Did you buy the wrong car...absulutly not!
I would concur. There have been more problems than I'd care to count with respect to ethanol fuel and part time engines. When they sit for weeks on end, the fuel starts to gum up, and causes all sorts of problems. I have a friend who buys AVGAS for all of his small engines because he got tired of all the carb problems he had with ethanol gas. I run fuel stabilizer in all of my stuff, and so far I've been lucky. But this is certainly not a reflection on Yamaha, it's a fuel thing.....
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

What "treatment adative" do you recommend?
Old 03-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
Bubba75
My wife says I'm crazy...

Yamaha

I still use the oem fuel stabilizer. Costs less than two dollars per tank. Call it a cost of doing business. Lol
Bubba75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:40 AM   #7
Bob's Cay
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help guys. From my boating experience I have learned to put only Rec-90 the ethanol "free" gas in the cart. Not to say that the gas in there before i got it wasn't the problem.

A big part of my frustration involves things like accessing and cleaning the carb. Not sure why Yamaha decided to position bolts to remove the air cleaner box so that access is from below. The pulse line from the fuel pump is also connected below the air filter box. I have found that on outboards most have good well thought out access.

Now just waiting for repair tech to get to make service call. Anybody know a good service tech in the Gainesville Ga. area/
Bob's Cay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:14 AM   #8
Dave in VA

Yamaha

It's not that difficult to remove the air cleaner housing. 2- 12mm nuts (#2) hold the housing and carb to the engine, and 2- 10mm nuts (#4) fasten at the rear. You need to wrench it from under the carb, not from under the cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YDRA intake.jpg (60.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-18-2016, 08:42 AM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Unfortunitly on G29's, you have to go under the car to get to the nuts I think it was there redesighning of the fuel tank, it's just to close to get your hands in there.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
Dave in VA

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Unfortunitly on G29's, you have to go under the car to get to the nuts I think it was there redesighning of the fuel tank, it's just to close to get your hands in there.

Oops--I'm thinking G16/22.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha