lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #11
tony357
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 92 club Car DS surging at all speeds

No black smoke, I think your fuel pump needs to be replaced.
tony357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #12
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Jay, lack of black smoke does not mean your fuel pump needs to be replaced.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:37 AM   #13
tony357
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post

if it ran rich it would have black smoke, since it ran fine before and is surging sounds like it is running away from its fuel Thus fuel pump failure. With all the additives he added to the fuel the diaphragm may have failed. last few years we have put two fuel pumps on our work cart due to ethanol attacking the diaphragm.

You need to keep on track with the thread and put together the answers.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony357 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
if it ran rich it would have black smoke, since it ran fine before and is surging sounds like it is running away from its fuel Thus fuel pump failure. With all the additives he added to the fuel the diaphragm may have failed. last few years we have put two fuel pumps on our work cart due to ethanol attacking the diaphragm.

Hmm.... Surely you jest... I mean the OP states
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Eagleson View Post
My 92 club car surges at all speeds, it ran perfect at home 2100 feet. Is it a coincidence now in Arizona 150 feet above sea level the surging problem happens?
1.Can I try adjusting the mixture screw?
2. Could it be a governor issue?
Mooncarter's diagnoses is spot on for altitude differentials and he seems to use proper etiquette and decorum, but you choose otherwise. Not the best way to help out on a forum, so maybe take a breather and think about your remarks.... You can offer a suggestion and should, but there are others that have experience and share those also....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:57 AM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
High altitude runs lean ( less barometric pressure ) you need larger jets, going from high to low it would run rich. I cannot speak for carts but Johnson and Evinrude outboards were jetted for high altitude from the factory and were designated for those areas. you could also purchase high altitude kits to convert.

Do you see any black smoke coming from exhaust ?
with all the cleaner you put in theres a chance the fuel pump diaphragm has failed.
You're backwards. Higher altitude is less air density, so smaller jets (less fuel) to even out the mixture. When you take something tuned for high altitude and move it 2000 feet lower, the air is more dense (more air to fuel) so it will run lean at the lower altitude. You need more fuel to even out the mixture.

However, having said that, while you DID drop 2k feet in elevation, that should not make a HUGE difference but may explain the surging. Most manufacturers don't recommend changing jetting until around 5000 feet elevation. Though, these golf carts seem to be MUCH more sensitive to air leaks/carb issues than most small engines so it is still possible.

I personally believe it may have more to do with all the stuff you dumped in the gas tank than carb jetting. I think the best place to start would be dumping the gas tank, clearing the fuel lines and starting over with a fresh tank of gas. See where you're at after that. If your jetting was set for higher altitude, and you added all of that (generally non-combustible) stuff to the fuel, you are further leaning out the combustible mixture of fuel going into the engine and really running lean.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #16
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:

Old 10-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #17
Jay Eagleson
Not Yet Wild

Guy,s thanks for your help. As always I like to try the simplest things first and it worked. I adjusted the mixture needle from 1/2 a turn out to 1 1/2 turns and she runs like it did at home. Thanks again for your help .
Jay Eagleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #18
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Guy,s thanks for your help. As always I like to try the simplest things first and it worked. I adjusted the mixture needle from 1/2 a turn out to 1 1/2 turns and she runs like it did at home. Thanks again for your help .
Old 10-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #19
tony357
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

Correct you added more fuel to compensate.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #20
Jay Eagleson
Not Yet Wild

Guys my cart is still running lean, I had to place a paper towel in front of the air filter to make it run better. Runs great if I hold the choke in. I think it is a jet issue? It ran great at 2100 feet and now really lean at 300 feet. The dealer told me the jets should be fine from 0 to 3000 feet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jay Eagleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car