lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2019, 08:32 PM   #1
CWDunwoodie43
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Backfire

What would cause my (GAS) 08 Club Car too backfire when I’m coming too a stop? Other than that it runs fine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
CWDunwoodie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2019, 03:35 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Backfire

Most commonly the carb/throttle is not completely closing when you let off the gas. Probably mis-adjusted or a sticking cable.

Otherwise could be valve adjustment or carb issue, but generally just make sure the cable isnt sticking and it adjusted correctly and it will clear it up.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:29 AM   #3
CWDunwoodie43
Getting Wild

Club Car

I put in 89 Octane instead of 87 as well...

Old 05-03-2019, 06:20 AM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Has the cart been sped up - by either adjusting the throttle cable (without the governor too) or by "zip tie"? As CP241 mentioned, the most common reason is the carburetor throttle plate not closing completely. If the plate doesn't close all the way when you let off the accelerator, the engine id still drawing air (and fuel with it) into the engine as it spins down to a stop. The micro switches will kill the ignition as soon as you let off the pedal, so that bit of air / fuel mix gets drawn into the cylinder, NOT burned because the spark plug doesn't fire, and pushed into the exhaust - all in the couple revolutions the engine makes while spinning down to a stop. Then when you hit the pedal to start up again the ignition fires the spark plug again, hot exhaust gasses light off that raw fuel in the exhaust and "BOOM".
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:44 AM   #5
CWDunwoodie43
Getting Wild

Club Car

Yes it has! We put a block of plastic under the gas pedal too have it run around 17-18mph so it wasn’t bouncing off the rev limiter...

Old 05-03-2019, 09:56 PM   #6
aintgotthis
Not Yet Wild

Be very careful when running those engines at high RPM's. There is a balancer weight that slides up and down on an aluminum dowel. When the engine revs, the balancer can chatter and can get caught on the dowel. It sends it right out the back of the crankcase, leaving a rather nice sized hole.
aintgotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car