lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #11
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2000CC fe290 seems to be running hot

Everything you are saying is suggesting lean. I'd suspect you knocked something loose while pulling fuel lines or the pump, but you have 2 filters so I don't suspect that is the issue. Based on your symptoms and the fact that you were just messing with it, I suspect the fuel pump. It's probably very weak and your not getting the fuel you should to the float bowl and it runs till it finally starves itself.
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
mrlmd
Gone Wild

I haven't messed with this cart or have done anything to it for months, the overheating, or my sensation of it, and the cart stumbling just happened spontaneously a few days ago.
I sprayed carb cleaner all around the intake hose and around the carb and there is no air leak making it run lean.
The fuel pump pumps a large amount of fuel and that is not the answer and you can run it flat out over 3800-4000 rpm for many minutes and it doesn't miss a beat, so there's nothing wrong with the fuel pump or the carb.
Removing the rear cover behind the front seat to let hot air out seems to be working, it runs fine and doesn't stumble. I may get a metal grill, like a home radiator grill, to put over there instead of the solid plastic cover that's there now, to aid it getting heat out of that area.
With a laser thermometer, letting it run for over 10 min. in maintenance mode, I get 145-149 degrees at the oil filter, 180-200 at the top of the engine, 110 at the fan shroud and the grill, 185-220 at the bottom passenger side, 200+ at the exhaust pipe and muffler, so maybe it's not really running "hot" at all.
The fuel lines and pump read about 100 and the carb read about 100-110, and the ambient temp at that time was about 92-95. Gas can boil at that temp (100+) and create a vapor lock but the engine runs fine with those temps, maybe it was higher running it under load down the road.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
I haven't messed with this cart or have done anything to it for months, the overheating, or my sensation of it, and the cart stumbling just happened spontaneously a few days ago.
I sprayed carb cleaner all around the intake hose and around the carb and there is no air leak making it run lean.
The fuel pump pumps a large amount of fuel and that is not the answer and you can run it flat out over 3800-4000 rpm for many minutes and it doesn't miss a beat, so there's nothing wrong with the fuel pump or the carb.
Removing the rear cover behind the front seat to let hot air out seems to be working, it runs fine and doesn't stumble. I may get a metal grill, like a home radiator grill, to put over there instead of the solid plastic cover that's there now, to aid it getting heat out of that area.
With a laser thermometer, letting it run for over 10 min. in maintenance mode, I get 145-149 degrees at the oil filter, 180-200 at the top of the engine, 110 at the fan shroud and the grill, 185-220 at the bottom passenger side, 200+ at the exhaust pipe and muffler, so maybe it's not really running "hot" at all.
The fuel lines and pump read about 100 and the carb read about 100-110, and the ambient temp at that time was about 92-95. Gas can boil at that temp (100+) and create a vapor lock but the engine runs fine with those temps, maybe it was higher running it under load down the road.

Sorry, been busy here but I did get some readings over the weekend I forgot about.

This was immediately after a pretty hard drive cycle. Ambient temp was 100 degrees. "Feels like" temp has been around 107-108

Took readings right after about a 6-7 mile drive, averaging between 18-25mph most of the trip, with few stops. I ran it harder than I usually do, wanted to get max readings. I have a 98 DS with a 2014 FE350 motor. Stock clutching, stock governer. basically stock height, 1" spacer in the front to clear 20" tires, slightly longer shackles in the rear because it would bottom out with the cart loaded down with kids in the front and back seats.

exhaust flange 295.1
cylinder head 217.3
side case near where dipstick tube meets the case 164.0
fuel filter between pump and carb 139.7
top of gas tank 139.6
carb body 152.2
fan intake 132.4
back of muffler where the pipe enters muffler 310.9
intake tube between airbox and carb 146.4

I'm guessing ambient temp under the seat was somewhere around 140 degrees, mine may be runnig a bit hotter than yours does. I just got my DS with a FE290 up and running, i'll try and get some readings on it next weekend. it is lifted so probably run a lot cooler.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #14
mrlmd
Gone Wild

So compared to yours, maybe mine's not really running hot at all, just my imagination.
I will put the cover back on the rear engine compartment behind the seats and run it again and see if it stumbles and quits again. I still have no idea why it did that, and other than cleaning some gook out of the fuel pump, did nothing to correct it.
I am in need of a new exhaust pipe and muffler 'cause I hear an exhaust leak and because the whole system gets so hot, I haven't been able to locate the pin hole yet. It doesn't look that difficult to replace the exhaust but because of all the rust on mine, it may be difficult to take it apart. Maybe some of the heat I think that's under the seats is coming from that exhaust leak rather than getting blown out the rear.
If you get a chance to measure the temps on your fe290, I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yeah, that was after a long hard run with 100° ambient temp. Funny when its cooler in florida or death valley than it is in Georgia.....

Exhaust is easy to remove. 2 nuts at the head (the stud may come out with them, that's fine), usually 2 bolt on the support as the pipe crosses over and a strap going around the muffler on the brace. That's usually rusted pretty good so it may be easier to cut it with a pair.of tin snips and put a new one on it.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #16
mrlmd
Gone Wild

Got my old one off and it was a bitch because of how tight and rusted on the nuts at the head were, but PB Blaster did the trick (eventually). I was afraid of breaking off one of the studs but luckily that didn't happen. Think mine is fixable? It's just a little hole in the side.
I heard an exhaust leak but never imagined the hole of rot in the side of the muffler would be that big, and now I'm sure that my stumbling and stalling was from the exhaust gases poisoning the intake under the engine compartment. We'll see when I get my new exhaust. I'll let you know what happens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2804.jpg (356.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2805.jpg (246.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Wow. That explains your heated plastic!
Old 09-15-2019, 06:16 PM   #18
mrlmd
Gone Wild

This hole was way off to the side and bottom and was partially covered with the SS hose clamp strap and that's why I never saw it with a quick look inspection.
I bet replacing that will solve all my problems.
When you dig into a problem, the solution is usually something simple and not esoteric. You just have to look into the right place.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #19
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Lucky it didnt melt the plastic! Glad you found ir!

Thata why when troubleshooting anything I always start with the very basics. I'm surprised that thing wasnt insanely loud with a hole like that, I'd have to imagine it sounds like a honda with a giant spoiler! I had a Polaris sportsman that was similarly blown out in the muffler. Thing was obnoxiously loud (and lean because of it). New muffler and it was like a completely different machine!
Old 09-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #20
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Oh dang! I see your problem now!
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car