lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #1
Shane dog95
Not Yet Wild

Default Gas Carberator tune up?...

I have a 1996 Gas Club Car Kawasaki motor but not sure witch model engine it is? but my problem is after it sits a while, it starts and drive's fine but when I stop a minute and try to go again it has trouble? engine is cranking but finally will go with smoke out exhaust witch I'm assuming because of its age? but the hesitation is my problem I'm needing help with? carburetor cleaning is what I have planned since I have never done that to it before?
Shane dog95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #2
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Gas Carberator tune up?...

I would recommend cleaning that old carb before replacing it. I went around and around with 3 aftermarket carbs before I finally found an old original on the shelf. took it apart and put it in an ultrasonic cleaner. came out looking like new. put it back together with a new fuel filter and a can of SeaFoam in the tank and it runs like new now.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It sounds like you've got water in your gas. That's pretty typical symptoms of it... or old ethanol gas that has separated.

Pull the carb and clean it. All you need is a can of carb cleaner and some compressed air. But cleaning it alone probably won't be your whole solution. I would also really recommend draining your tank. Just use a piece of fish tank hose and siphon it dry. I use a claw pickup tool (you can get them at harbor freight for a few bucks) and paper towels to clean up what's left in the bottom. As long as theres no sludge or anything that's all it should take. And you can refill with fresh gas.

Also a good time to replace your fuel filters and fuel lines.

All in all you'll be out about 20 bucks for lines, filter, and carb cleaner. Maybe less. But money well spent.

If you're not exactly sure HOW to clean a carb, check some youtube videos. I'm sure theres a thousand of them that would explain much better than I could try and type it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
7harborcruiser
Not Yet Wild

A simple carb cleaning is pulling it off, taking the bowl “ bottom cup” off, look in side that. Is there a bunch of floaters and junk in there. That will tell you the big story. Clean that out spray it down everywhere you can with carb cleaner. Put it back together.
Or you can go all out and disassembled the carb all the way. That get more complicated as there are tiny parts and gaskets that need replacing and adjustment.
Sea foam is a good treatment, have had success with that in many different application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7harborcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7harborcruiser View Post
A simple carb cleaning is pulling it off, taking the bowl “ bottom cup” off, look in side that. Is there a bunch of floaters and junk in there. That will tell you the big story. Clean that out spray it down everywhere you can with carb cleaner. Put it back together.
Or you can go all out and disassembled the carb all the way. That get more complicated as there are tiny parts and gaskets that need replacing and adjustment.
Sea foam is a good treatment, have had success with that in many different application.

I apologize and dont mean to come off harsh or rude, but that's not the best of advice. simply cleaning the bowl is not the same as cleaning the carb. The jets, emulsion tube, needle/seat, passages in the carb body, etc need to be cleaned out. If you're going to take the time to pull the carb, then it's worth taking the time to clean it thoroughly. Otherwise you're really not ruling anything out...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
7harborcruiser
Not Yet Wild

Default Gas Carberator tune up?...

^^^Fair. The OP sounded shy of the full carb rebuild. I guess I should have said, pull the bowl clean it leaving the carb and all adjustment in place. spray as much exposed floats and down the butterfly. Quick cleaning. Let the sea foam “maybe” do it job on the jets and the rest. It has been successful for me in the past on other equipment.

7harborcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
Shane dog95
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
I would recommend cleaning that old carb before replacing it. I went around and around with 3 aftermarket carbs before I finally found an old original on the shelf. took it apart and put it in an ultrasonic cleaner. came out looking like new. put it back together with a new fuel filter and a can of SeaFoam in the tank and it runs like new now.
I've heard some bad thing's about the SeaFoam???
Shane dog95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:57 AM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane dog95 View Post
I've heard some bad thing's about the SeaFoam???
I don't know what you've heard...
I've been using Seafoam in all of my fuels (mix and straight) for over 20 years now with absolutely 0 problems!
I prefer it over Stabil because Seafoam is a stabilizer and a cleaner,
and with Wisconsin winter storage for the mower, weed wacker, and leaf blower, and a snowblower summer storage, it's a must!

I wouldn't use a whole can in a cart tank though, 1 ounce, or 1-1/2 ounces per gallon is all you need.
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car