lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
81 First
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question 97 gas club car won't start

I changer the ignition coil no my 1997 club car with fe290 motor It makes no since to me why no start.
I have checked voltages at solenoid from Blue wire and orange wire ( small terminals and black wire on volt meter to ground and both say 12 volts w/o pushing gas pedal and it is at 12 volts on both ends with key on. I can jump sol. big terminals and it starts the engine WHY 12 volts across Blue wire to orange w/o clicking the SOL. ????

All cherry switches check out w/ohm meter
w/key on I ck voltage at switch nearest engine on F & R sw. and I get 12 volts on green wire w/gas depressed.
Could my ignition sw. cause this I have 12 volts from ground to red and blue and buzzer but not to the two w/b & w wires ( that go to bottom limit sw. ) do w/bl wires need 12 volts with key on.

The night before I changed the coil ( buzzer only works when it feels like it ) I left the F & R leaver in R position and in morning while having coffee I herd the back up buzzer come on it could have been doing it all night I figure this has no relevance what so ever but who knows

I AM STUMPED ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Thought I would add this I took blower cover back off to see if pinched wire no wire pinched.

Another something I just thought of the limiter has a black wire off of it that joins a black wire going up into the engine on blower cover side and the w/br wire to ground and the w/b wire to limit switch what does the black wire going up to then engine do also the wire going to the spade connector on coil just goes to ground on engine.

help
81 First is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 97 gas club car won't start

If you're keeping 12v at both small terminals at the solenoid then there is a microswitch problem, it's not sending the ground signal through to the solenoid to activate it.

But first if you're in neutral. Make sure it is in service mode. There is a yellow knob on the back of the shifter. Pull it out and rotate it 180 degrees. Now it will run in neutral. Make sure to rotate it back when it runs or it wont run in gear then.

It's possible the microswitch behind the shifter, with 3 terminals is simply.wired wrong. I've bought a few carts that wouldnt run simply because it wasnt wired correctly...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also the spade on the coil should go THROUGH the rev limiter, and connect to the white/black wire going past the dipstick tube. This runs to the microswitch in the black box that will go to ground when you release the pedal. This is the kill wire and when grounded, kills spark to shut the engine off. If that spade is grounded to the block then you'll never have spark because of this...

See attached diagram. Make 1000% sure all the wiring is correct before buying any more parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Q9WsMs7.jpg (109.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #4
81 First
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81 First View Post
I changer the ignition coil no my 1997 club car with fe290 motor It makes no since to me why no start.
I have checked voltages at solenoid from Blue wire and orange wire ( small terminals and black wire on volt meter to ground and both say 12 volts w/o pushing gas pedal and it is at 12 volts on both ends with key on. I can jump sol. big terminals and it starts the engine WHY 12 volts across Blue wire to orange w/o clicking the SOL. ????

All cherry switches check out w/ohm meter
w/key on I ck voltage at switch nearest engine on F & R sw. and I get 12 volts on green wire w/gas depressed.
Could my ignition sw. cause this I have 12 volts from ground to red and blue and buzzer but not to the two w/b & w wires ( that go to bottom limit sw. ) do w/bl wires need 12 volts with key on.

The night before I changed the coil ( buzzer only works when it feels like it ) I left the F & R leaver in R position and in morning while having coffee I herd the back up buzzer come on it could have been doing it all night I figure this has no relevance what so ever but who knows

I AM STUMPED ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Thought I would add this I took blower cover back off to see if pinched wire no wire pinched.

Another something I just thought of the limiter has a black wire off of it that joins a black wire going up into the engine on blower cover side and the w/br wire to ground and the w/b wire to limit switch what does the black wire going up to then engine do also the wire going to the spade connector on coil just goes to ground on engine.

help
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
If you're keeping 12v at both small terminals at the solenoid then there is a microswitch problem, it's not sending the ground signal through to the solenoid to activate it.

But first if you're in neutral. Make sure it is in service mode. There is a yellow knob on the back of the shifter. Pull it out and rotate it 180 degrees. Now it will run in neutral. Make sure to rotate it back when it runs or it wont run in gear then.

It's possible the microswitch behind the shifter, with 3 terminals is simply.wired wrong. I've bought a few carts that wouldnt run simply because it wasnt wired correctly...

The micro sw ( I call cherry sw. ) is wired as the drawing you attached is wired Bottom to top white green and black common I did an ohom test with wires off and it is good It will not run in ether neutral or Forward or reverse I think that I should have the 12 volts on the blue wire side but not the orange side until upper limit sw. opens Like I said when I put a screwdriver across the bid lugs it starts
Old 09-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
81 First
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Also the spade on the coil should go THROUGH the rev limiter, and connect to the white/black wire going past the dipstick tube. This runs to the microswitch in the black box that will go to ground when you release the pedal. This is the kill wire and when grounded, kills spark to shut the engine off. If that spade is grounded to the block then you'll never have spark because of this...

See attached diagram. Make 1000% sure all the wiring is correct before buying any more parts.
I attached the wire that was on the spade connector on old coil to same spade on new coil ( that wire went to ground on motor it was about 4 " long
The black wire going from limiter up to engine from the bullet connecter I do not know where it goes on engine it goes to a place I cannot see
The wire going from spade connector to engine goes to a screw attached to engine about 4 "

Is there any the key switch is involved with start circuit after being turned to on and I get 12V at red 12V at blue 12 volts at ground and no volts at white / white w black stripe

Thanks for helping
Old 09-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
The micro sw ( I call cherry sw. ) is wired as the drawing you attached is wired Bottom to top white green and black common I did an ohom test with wires off and it is good It will not run in ether neutral or Forward or reverse I think that I should have the 12 volts on the blue wire side but not the orange side until upper limit sw. opens Like I said when I put a screwdriver across the bid lugs it starts
Hmm... for giggles, try and switch the white and green wires. Top black, middle white, bottom green.

In case that microswitch isnt quite making full contact with the yellow cam on the handle, this will reverse that. It wont hurt anything, but just make it so the cart will start when the switch is dropped down (normally open) and not start when the switch is depressed (closed).

The orange wire on the solenoid should go to ground when you press the pedal down. The blue will have 12v any time the key is on.

If that test does nothing, make sure the black wire at that switch has a good solid ground. Might be worth running a jumper wire from battery negative terminal to that connector on the switch to test. If you ground the green wire it should bypass that switch all together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190922_220736.jpg (326.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #7
81 First
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Angry Re: 97 gas club car won't start

Quote:
I attached the wire that was on the spade connector on old coil to same spade on new coil ( that wire went to ground on motor it was about 4 " long
The black wire going from limiter up to engine from the bullet connecter I do not know where it goes on engine it goes to a place I cannot see
The wire going from spade connector to engine goes to a screw attached to engine about 4 "

Is there any the key switch is involved with start circuit after being turned to on and I get 12V at red 12V at blue 12 volts at ground and no volts at white / white w black stripe

Thanks for helping
Today or the next day or two I will remove the engine cover again I must have missed the black wire from liminter that has to be problem but there is a gray wire coming from engine block that I through I removed from spade connector on old coil
I am wondering if there was a different set up on this engine at one time ( the small igniter on back of liminter ) that I see on some engines videos
I may become an expert at removing all the parts that need removed to remove flywheel engine cover !!!!
Old 09-23-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Today or the next day or two I will remove the engine cover again I must have missed the black wire from liminter that has to be problem but there is a gray wire coming from engine block that I through I removed from spade connector on old coil
I am wondering if there was a different set up on this engine at one time ( the small igniter on back of liminter ) that I see on some engines videos
I may become an expert at removing all the parts that need removed to remove flywheel engine cover !!!!
Yes, some of the older ones had a separate coil and igniter. The igniter was next to the rev limiter. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe by 97 it should have been an all-in-one coil. On the older ones you can use the all-in-one coil, just bolt it on and remove the old separate igniter.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
81 First
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Yes, some of the older ones had a separate coil and igniter. The igniter was next to the rev limiter. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe by 97 it should have been an all-in-one coil. On the older ones you can use the all-in-one coil, just bolt it on and remove the old separate igniter.
I did this because of what you said about black wire at limiter thank you

Well I took it all apart again tonight and put old coil back in and temporarily installed engine cover and just turned it over w/gas pedal in service mode and it turns over
But There was no screw holding igniter wire but a spring clip that was terribly rusted i removed it and rerouted the wire so as not have it rubbing on anything or get too hot there is a covering on it where it runs through side of engine I ran out of daylight so I will put new one back on and test same way I am gaping at.010 " because that is the only long plastic gauge I have the others are 15 & 20 that is too big a gap

Thanks for your help telling me about the black wire at limater made me take these steps and check myself I through since i had it apart I should try the old coil and tomorrow i will put the new back in and test first the reason I changed it was I had a bright white to large orange spark in the first place

Thanks so much this time removing it only took less than an hour to get to coil those 10 mm screws holding it on are a B$*&^%$H the L shaped frame nuts and bolts are easy now tanks again
Old 09-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Tags
changing ignition coil
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car