lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
12ckidd
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 club car carryall 6 gas will not turn off

I have a key start 99 club car carryall 6 that will turn on with key but will not turn off when key is turned back to the off position. i have to disconnect the positive battery cable in order to get the cart to shut off. i can hook the cart up to a battery box and it will turn on and off like it should but when i reconnect the cart to a battery it will not shut off. Any help or tests to try would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post on here (btw)
12ckidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
1arunem
Gone Wild

Default Re: 99 club car carryall 6 gas will not turn off

Not sure if they are like a Yamaha but they have an engine stop relay that may have failed.
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ckidd View Post
I have a key start 99 club car carryall 6 that will turn on with key but will not turn off when key is turned back to the off position. i have to disconnect the positive battery cable in order to get the cart to shut off. i can hook the cart up to a battery box and it will turn on and off like it should but when i reconnect the cart to a battery it will not shut off. Any help or tests to try would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post on here (btw)
I think they short out the plug thru the rev limiter; is the rev limiter connected?
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:57 PM   #4
12ckidd
Not Yet Wild

The rev limiter is located right under the front of the engine correct with a white and black wire feeding to a bullet connection? It’s all connected as far as I can tell. I just don’t understand why it will turn on and off connected to a jump box but not when connected to a battery. It just doesn’t make sense to me.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #5
1arunem
Gone Wild

Not making a ground back to the battery?
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sounds like a bad key switch. Check that out first before digging too deep. The cart should shut off (even pedal start) when you turn the key off. I had one where you could turn the key off and remove it while driving down the road. It would run all day until you let off the gas and shut down the motor, then obviously it woulsnt restart again until you turn the key back on.

New key switch and all was well after that
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:12 PM   #7
12ckidd
Not Yet Wild

I tested the wire going from key switch to solenoid that engages the solenoid and it’s turning on and off properly but somehow the solenoid is still getting power when key switch is turned off. I replaced the solenoid after first finding the issue but did not fix it. Is there a kill micro switch on these that could have went bad? But still then I don’t know why it would work properly when connected to a jump box. I’ve checked the ground wires the best I know how and are tight. And when I say the cart won’t turn off it’s not the motor that won’t turn off it’s the starter generator just to clarify.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:57 PM   #8
Guy Addison
Not Yet Wild

Maybe the jump box isn’t putting out a full 12.4v and the battery is, and the full voltage from the battery is just pissing the cart off somehow. I had a Polaris sportsman I tried starting while hooked up to a jump box, and the silenion would even activate to prime the fuel pump, but wen I hooked up a new battery it fired right off. It sounds like you have the opposite problem I had my friend, maybe try a different battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guy Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:53 AM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Since you've replaced the solenoid, I'll take it that you also saw the relay then? (key-start carts only)

Would it be possible that a wire(s) may have gotten disconnected, and reconnected incorrectly? (Maybe? maybe not...)

The relay is a big part of the start/engine kill circuit for your cart, they don't fail often, but sometimes they do! (hence the test procedure)
The 1 microswitch in the Components Box is prone to fail, but I've heard that it usually causes a "no start" scenario.

Attached is the relay location, a couple of relay tests, and relay wiring...
if it passes the 2 tests? then at least you can rule the relay out.

Triple click on each pic to expand them, save them to your computer, and print them for easier reading.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg keystartECB.jpg (432.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg keystartrelay1.jpg (423.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg keystartrelay2.jpg (424.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg KS-relaytest1.jpg (141.3 KB, 0 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car