lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
david101193
Not Yet Wild

Default 94 Club Car DS Gas NO Spark when ignition coil is plugged in. Cool Fires without wire

So basically I have this cart in the shop and I am going over it. The coil was replaced recently with the china special but as stated in the title the coil will fire if the black wire is unplugged from it. Will not fire when plugged in. What would cause this issue? Thanks for all the help!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
david101193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 94 Club Car DS Gas NO Spark when ignition coil is plugged in. Cool Fires without

Either the rev limiter or microswitch has failed
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #3
david101193
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 94 Club Car DS Gas NO Spark when ignition coil is plugged in. Cool Fires without

I took the wire off the limiter and there was no change to the coil fire. The MS seem to be operating fine, could be wrong. Only time it starts firing is when the coil is disconnected.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

That black wire is the kill wire. It kills spark.

The microswitch that kills spark is inside the black box next to the air filter. The button on the side can still work and it could be stuck internally. Disconnect the wire from that microswitch and see if that cures it.

The black wire could be shorted to ground somewhere as well. When that wire goes to ground, it kills spark.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:38 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

94's use a separate ignitor under the rev limiter, It may be bad. #18

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93 ign.jpg (101.0 KB, 0 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
94's use a separate ignitor under the rev limiter, It may be bad. #18

Good point. I saw it's an aftermarket coil, which would not have an external ignitor (at least I dont think I've seen one). Usually you would want to eliminate the OEM ignitor and bypass it. If it is still there, it could be conflicting with the aftermarket coil
Old 01-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #7
david101193
Not Yet Wild

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the ignitor is bad how is the coil firing when the kill wire is disconnected?

Another test I did was unplugging the bullet connector and trying to get the cart to fire. It still doesn't fire. It will only fire when the kill switch is unplugged from the coil. This leads me to believe it is grounding out somewhere.

Again I could be mistaken lol.

Also the only way to test if it is the ignitor is if I replace the ignitor correct?

Thanks for the help and info!

Old 01-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #8
david101193
Not Yet Wild

I am going to remove the ignitor and see if it resolves the issue. I did not install the aftermarket coil, so I'm not sure if it has an internal ignitor or not. But it must if the coil is firing.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #9
david101193
Not Yet Wild

Well well well.... It seems I have traced it down here. The customer rigged up a toggle switch key system. They just left the white wire loose in the dash and it was shorting to the frame.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car