lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #1
Kbelle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default CC 1990 DS fz340 ate the governor and cam

Hello all ---I picked this cart up which starts and runs ok but was making an internal engine rattle. did compression test cold was 90lbs wot is 3200 rpms. Pulled the engine out and I found the back side of the cam metal portion in three pieces. The cam gear was loose. the slinger which is not broken --flung the parts about an beat up the rod, casing but no holes. Pulled out the rod which shows some wear on bearing surface but smooth. The piston shows some dings but bore is fine. I then noticed the governor rod which comes into the case doesn't have the paddle which makes contact with the weights on the cam shaft. Today, I ordered a new cam, rod, slinger, piston, rings and gaskets. the parts for the governor are not available. Looks like no governor for this engine. On other engines, builders purposely take out the governor assembly and block off shaft. Can I do the same on this set up??what to do now ? took another look at parts no screws or any sign of the governor paddle --apparently someone has been in this engine before left the lever attached which impacted the cam--just love old junk
Kbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: CC 1990 DS fz340 ate the governor and cam

Got some photos? I've having trouble identifying in my head a governor assembly that mounts inside the motor (?).

I have 3 or 4 of these KF82 motors disassembled around my shop but the only governor I'm aware of is the long rod that runs from the transaxle up to the carburetor. It doesn't connect anywhere inside the motor.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
Kbelle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I took a closer look at the pieces and they are all from the cam -the governor arm inside the engine has a place for a paddle and two screws to attach which looked like new. this attaches to the external throttle for the carb and also attaches to the rod from the differential
-I kept researching yesterday and found that club car when they ordered the engines from kawasaki did not have internal engine governor relying on the differential governor. this makes sense. I appears I am back on track with the rebuild. I prefer to have the engine governed. thanks for your help
Old 02-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Club Car always used an external governor on their gas engines. That said, they didn't design the engine. Kawasaki sold these for hundreds, maybe even thousands of different applications and many of those would require some sort of internal governor. Makes more sense to me that the engine has been replaced at some point with a non Club Car version of the engine.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #5
Kbelle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

update the engine now runs great. replaced the cam, piston, rings, rod and fuel pump. a honed the cylinder the valves were making contact in the center of the seat so I left them alone. the compression is a 100 lbs compression. set the governor to max at 4k on level ground. had tons of problems with the valve lash when set at .006. The engine both backfired and coughed back through the carb. cleaned the carb still lean. finally pulled the valve cover pulled the tappet caps and ground them to .015. the engine starts and runs great.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car