lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
fcbclan
Not Yet Wild

Default repaired my 1985 drive clutch

I repaired my old drive clutch. It was missing all of the buttons. I JB welded head gasket material strips to cover the area the buttons slide on and round head gasket circles JB welded to the button area about 9/16 in diameter I inserted a cellofane piece to keep the two parts from welding together in case I had a little JB on the faces. I let it set up 24 hours. found it was a little tight and would stick when engaging, so i filed the rough spots and fit each one a little at a timeuntilit engaged smoothly then coated them with teflon spray. I installed it and it works great. I don't know the life expectancy but head gasket material is tough and layered with metal, and a asbestos or grafite naterial which is really skich like teflon. wish me luck. I,m an old time mechanic and I am reluctant to replace parts when repair is feasable. I rebuild starters alternators , generators and most mechanical parts
Thanks to JB Weld, what a great product I have fixed leaky aluminum A/C pressure lines. and radiators and coolers . I also Jb Welded a loose intake valve seat in my John Deere 318. I guess they run hotter on unleaded and come loose and travel with the valve wearing a bigger hole. so normally you bore it and put an oversized seat in, instead I filed notches parallel around the edge of the valve seat and etched the edge in the block where the seat fits and JB welded it in and re-install the valve and spring, give irt 48 hours and put all together and its been running great all summer. it may not last forever but saved a complete tear down, a machine bill and valve job.
fcbclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
fcbclan
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: repaired my 1985 drive clutch

April 2011 clutch still works great still almost 2 years now
Old 04-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
liltotipsy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

you may need to redo this repair on your cart after reading your new post. Hope it works out for you again! Gotta love JB Weld!!
liltotipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Cheezygo
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Can you give more detail on how you got the cover off to expose the inards?
Cheezygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
fcbclan
Not Yet Wild

My clutch has bolts maybe yous does not?
Old 04-13-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
Cheezygo
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Mine has 6 or 8 bolts, can't remember, that holds the center spider to the outer cover/bell and the center bolt holds the clutch to the crank.
I didn't try real hard to get the cover off because it was bending so I just threw it back together and went with it.
Mine is a stock ezgo, not a comet replacement....
Old 04-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
fcbclan
Not Yet Wild

I think mine had six, and I think it came apart ok you might have to make shure you take it off evenly. its a pretty simple mechanism inside
Old 04-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
Cheezygo
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks
I'll give it another go this weekend.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
fcbclan
Not Yet Wild

Good luck, I wish I would have taken pictures when I did mine. If I can help shout, God Bless
Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
fcbclan
Not Yet Wild

repaired my clutch May 2009 still going strong 4 years now
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO