lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
probablecause
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Engine Swap Options...All of Them!

Have a 99 TXT that has the stock 295 in it and am looking to replace the engine for more get up and go. It is a family limo golf cart but then again, I had a "family" jet boat for the river too... I only want my river jet boat to be loud and obnoxious and would like the cart as quiet as possible. Thus, a stock muffler would be better. However, I understand the trade-off. So far, my options are as follows:

1. Replace it with the stock 350 which is 18% larger and gives me 22% more HP. The good news is that this is drop and go engine (all of the parts (clutch, etc.) bolt right up). However, will I really notice a "big" difference?

2. Replace it with a an eBay performance 295/350 like this one (CLICK. Probably about the same price as the stock 350 and all of the parts (clutch, etc.) bolt right up.

3. Go with a name brand, higher HP, replacement motor (Honda or Vanguard) and also an engine cradle. Don't know much about the "ease" of the accessory item adaptability (clutch, starter, etc) and am not sure about all of the extra costs associated with the install. Can these motors be setup to start only on the gas peddle or are they always running? Have lots of questions about this option of engine replacement and if some of you have a link to a EZGO txt swap, that would be appreciated.

4. Figure out what the difference between the 295 and 350 actually is (no, it is not the 55 answer either ). Is the 350 a stroked 295 or is it actually a bigger bore on the block? When I find that answer, either send my tired motor out for a rebuild or find a 350 block and build it the way I want (ie. Mill the head, deck the block, carb work, etc.).

5. Does anyone have a Southern California place to take the engine to? I can handle all of the R&R on the cart. Just need the shop.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Brendan
probablecause is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
Goochy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Engine Swap Options...All of Them!

Let me know !!! I just bought a 99 with a 295 robin that is smoking ! I have ALL the same questions !!! My local ez go dealer said $1600 turn key to install the 11 hp robin , is that a good price ????? He wants to keep all my old parts as part of the deal .
Goochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
probablecause
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Anyone?
probablecause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If you are just looking for a little more power,and you run it on-road,go with the upgraded stock-replacement,.If you want a big power improvement,go to a VanGuard Swap.They run like a bear,have a ton of power,and when set up properly,they can be almost as tame as a stock-cart in normal use.You can get stock exhaust on them in most cases,and they are the same noise-level as your lawn-mower,or run a header and let it roar!Clones are another alternative.They are cheaper to purchase,but more fabrication is required,as swap-kits aren't always availiable for these setups.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The $1600 plus core is a good deal turn key! Go for it unless you are willing to put nearly $2000-2500 in and do all the work yourself.
The 350 is a different block than the 295 and it does offer an increase in power you can feel from the drivers seat. It is not, however a wheelie machine. I hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Goochy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The $1600 plus core is a good deal turn key! Go for it unless you are willing to put nearly $2000-2500 in and do all the work yourself.
The 350 is a different block than the 295 and it does offer an increase in power you can feel from the drivers seat. It is not, however a wheelie machine. I hope this helps.
Thanks for info . I am going to drop off cart at dealer soon to get the 350 engine . I think its a fair deal , for new crate engine , exhaust , muffler, and installed . Its all NEW , so it should last a long time if I take care of it . I do NOT want a huge engine , because kids will be driving this cart , so I need to keep it mild .
Goochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
drs1023
Not Yet Wild

My 350 engine is no speed-demon. I rebuilt it with new pistons, head work, etc. about 4years ago, but the carburetor has never been just right. I have no issue with the pulling power - I pull an empty 10-ft. trailer, wood splitter, etc. around my place and it climbs hills with 300~350 lbs of split firewood OK.

I was recently told by my local EZ-GO dealer that Honda makes a 20+ horsepower bolt in swap complete with clutch, belt, all wiring, etc., BUT the price is over $2500.
drs1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If you are at the mercy of a shop,or have to buy a kit to do a swap,be prepared for a hefty price-tag.We do our own swaps,we buy good,used engines for under $400,make the cradles,linkages,exhaust,etc...When we are done,we've got well under $1000 in the whole thing.My whole cart with the Big-Block is still under $1500!If you know anyone who is good at fabrication and/or small engines,getting it done that way will save you a ton,even if you buy the engine-mounts and exhaust new,and do the rest yourself.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
drs1023
Not Yet Wild

I do my own fabrications, so that'd be taken care of. I can get a new 12 hp Honda engines under $700, & I believe I can bend the exhaust. The linkage and wiring will be a hit or miss for me. Is there a place on the web that can give me info on the cradle I need? Specifically one which will give me the correct offset and spacing for the belt & clutchhave to be in the same place as it is bow. I don't need speed as much as I need power and dependability
drs1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO