lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1988 ezgo have to push to get moving

1988 ezgo 2 cycle will not take off, if I push it a few inches while holding gas it goes great! New to carts and Bgw. Started another thread and have done all the basics...BBq the muffler, removed and cleaned carb, no leaks around air box, brand new plug, spring on throttle it runs fine on mid to top end. I use 1.5oz of mix to 1 gal. Of gas. I literally only have to push it a few inches and it takes of and no problems until you stop. I have installed brand new motor mounts alto less vibration but still will not take off...oh yeah it had a new 14153-g belt which is 45", 1/2 shorter than recommended, but that should help the take off. Any help would be Greatly appreciated! Thanks and this site is Awesome
Dmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 ezgo have to push to get moving

The guy I bought it from seemed to think its the carb, it has 139lbs of compression and I've jacked it up and sprayed the seals with WD40 no leaks
Old 11-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Oh and I also read these carbs are (non)adjustable but I can tell that they have been messed with,what's the factory or common setting of these screws?1 has a lock nut on it the other with a spring I have set at 1 1/2 turns out...
Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
racin161
Gone Wild

Try taking the seat off and look at the drive clutch while trying to take off the one on the engine should try to close. It may be hanging up. Report back!

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Both clutches seem to be working but I don't know much about them, do you know the settings of the adjustment screws on the carb, Lou?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmontgomery View Post
Both clutches seem to be working but I don't know much about them, do you know the settings of the adjustment screws on the carb, Lou?
I'm looking for the same information carb adjustment info on a '92 3PG. They are probably similar. I need to hold the choke out to run at any speed.

I'll follow this thread and see if the information you get will work for me.

Clem
Workstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

the screw with the lock nut is the low speed adjustment and i read that from LIGHTLY seated 1 full turn out. I tried it and my cart will take off now but it got dark so me and the kids will try it again tomorrow, but it seemed to improve it. it was set at 2 full turns out. also be sure to tighten the nut pretty snug! and hold the screw while tightening. For now it seems to be running pretty strong, spinning the bald tires on it in my wet grass def improvement over pushing with one foot and trying to get it rolling...lol will mess around with it more tomorrow and post again. Ready to get this thing running right so i can start upgrades
Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

any body know what the biggest tires i can put on without a lift kit? 1988 marathon gas
Old 11-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
suffolklou
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

My 88 is stock height and it has 20 inch tires. They sometimes rub in the front when I am crossing a ditch.
suffolklou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
felber61
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

suffolklou is right 20" is all the taller you can go without the lift but you will get some rubbing from time to time. I would recommend going with a lift. If your going to spend the money on tires the extra $70-100 for the lift will be money well spent in the life of the cart tires. I have a 4" lift with 22" tires on mine and if I turn as sharp as possible one direction the tire will still catch slightly. My wife hated the idea of a lift until she drove it a few times and now she doesn't think its so bad. The carbs on these carts are touchy. If they get slightly clogged with old gas they will act funny. I had a brand new carb and I didn't run my cart at all last winter. The first time I got out the cart it ran fine for about an hour then the float stuck on me all of a sudden. Cleaned the carb and its been fine ever since. Carts are awesome but some days.....
felber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO