lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #21
langted
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Why did 295cc seize?

OK, not seeing recent replies, I did a little more research. I found that small engines with aluminum-on-steel connecting rods often seize when lubrication is lost--often so tight that the connectihg rod actually breaks near the big end once it cannot spin anymore. Mine was VERY mild.

With respect to cleaning the aluminum from the crank journal, some web sites advocate muriatic acid (i.e. hydrochloric) and some advocate sodium hydroxide (lye) or drain cleaner with lye. The hydroxide is slower but less corrosive to the steel. It appears that the method is to just dab on the acid or hydroxide and let it bubble until the aluminum is gone in minutes to hours. Some sites provide instruction on making a paste form that won't run off. Also need to neutralize the surface with baking soda if acid was used (use one or the other at a time, don't mix the chemicals). A lot of folks comment on bad effect on lungs and nearby corrosion of tools etc. from the acid, expecially if inside.

This all sounded like a lot of fuss, especially in Winter at 10F outside, so I experimented a little in the garage with aluminum foil and nails to see how aggressive the acid and old draino both were and how much ventilation I actrually needed. Although just purchased, even the acid was not fast on the foil, but tarnished the nails fairly quickly and did stink a lot. I would advise caution and doing outside.

So I tryed the alternate -- 600 wet or dry paper strips lubricated with penetrating oil. This seemed to work great-- took about an hour while I sang with the radio. Lost well below 1/1000" from the journal, based on comparison to the other.

Look at the before and after photos. I think I am good to go. I am also installing a 5 psi pressure switch to light a new panel light and kill the motor if pressure is not reached within a couple seconds of engine start. From other posts, it appears oil pressure is normally in the 40-50 psi range, so most gages should work. I will repost on this at a later date. Probably much later in the spring

(Still don't know what lifting the cart has to do with it!)

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 295cc Robin crankshaft with re-polished crank journal.JPG (126.0 KB, 0 views)
langted is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #22
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Good news on the crank. The reason he asked was it lifted is because when you lift these carts, the angle of the motor changes in the cradle making the dip stick read incorrectly.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #23
nickdaak
Not Yet Wild

Sorry I didn't see this post before. I had the same exact problem this fall. I parked the cart and when I went to go the next day it was solid. After tearing it apart found the same exact problem. After getting a new rod and cleaning up crank with super fine sand paper everything worked great. I had more problems getting the timing right. The timming notches and TDC where off 15 degrees. Working great now.
nickdaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO