lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
tplasek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 295cc will not start-backfires out of carb

I have a 2001 TXT with the 295 Robbins. I have had this cart a couple of years and it has always run flawlessly until recently. A few weeks ago , it suddenly decided to get finicky about starting. It would cough and sneeze and you would have to ever so lightly ease onto the gas pedal to get it to start moving. As soon as it the cart started to roll, the motor would rev up and suddenly come to life and run fine. Next time you stopped back to back to the coughing and sneezing through the carb. It finally suddenly died with no warning and will now ONLY cough and sneeze but not start.

Things I have checked:
1: Compression 170 - 180 (two cylinders)
2: Checked valve clearances. (Still OK from the last time I adjusted them)
3: Checked the timing belt. It is tight and the timing marks are still in alignment.
4: Cleaned the carb several times over the past few weeks. Always looked clean and no change in the way the cart runs.
5: Checked the coil. Measures 3.6Ohm between the +/- and 160k Ohms between the spark plug wires.
6: I have 11.92 Volts going to the coil when cranking.
7: Replaced spark plugs. One plug has a much hotter spark than the other. Both seem to have continuous spark when cranking, but the weak spark can confuse my inductive timing light and appear erratic. However, I don't see this when I remove the plug and ground it to the block.
8: Checked grounds and manually hooked up jumper ground straps from the battery to block and frame.
9: Removed the fuel line and let the cart cough and spuder at until the carb bowl went empty. (trying to eliminate a float level issue).

Now for the good part. If I remove a single spark plug wire from the weak spark plug, the cart will start and run on just one cylinder from the good plug. If I replace the weak spark plug wire and remove the plug wire with the strong spark, it it only cough and spit fuel out the carb.

Here is a youtube video I made that shows the problem I am having.

I am at a loss here and running out of things to check,
Tim
tplasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: 295cc will not start-backfires out of carb

Swap the good wire to the bad plug and see what it does. That will tell you if the jug/valves are good or not.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
tplasek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Great idea89 Marathon. I went outside to try this and found that I can place the spark plug wire that produces the strong spark on either spark plug and the cart will start and run on a either cylinder with no coughing or sneezing.

So, what does this mean? Is the coil bad? Only one side of it?
Tim
Old 01-29-2013, 01:09 AM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

I don't know much about that motor. Someone else will be along shortly. If it has one pulsar coil, then the spark coil is likely the problem. Have you checked that the wire is tight in the coil and the cap has a good connection to the wire?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

These motors don't have a distributor so I am pretty sure both plugs fire at the same time. One piston is at the top of the compression stroke and the other in the exhaust stroke. If one is weak, it is probably the coil.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
tplasek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I worked on this issue some more this evening. After brainstorming a bit, I recognized that my 91 Harley Davidson has dual output ignition coil that closely resembles the EZGO coil. Like the EZGO coil, it also fires both plugs at the same time. The primary coil resistance of the Harley coil measured 2.9 Ohms compared to the EZGO primary coil resistance of 3.6. This is pretty close considering automotive type coils usually measure around .5 Ohms.

I made a couple of jumper leads and hooked up the Harley coil and wire set to the EZGO. It fired right up with no problems. I then put the leads back onto the EZGO coil and it went right back into to cough and sneeze mode.

I ordered an OEM EZGO coil off of Ebay this evening. Hopefully this is the end of this saga.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130130_201313.jpg (119.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20130130_201612.jpg (79.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
wide'iwas
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks for update good info!
wide'iwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Thanks for the update. Good luck with it.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #9
Madman415
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I may be wrong, have to look at mine, but doesn't the (+) red wire on the coil go towards the back?

I know (+) and (-) are marked on the coil, but just for s**t's and giggles i would double check that they are in the right spot.
Madman415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
tplasek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The (+) is marked on the coil and is indeed toward the front of the motor on my cart. The new EZGO coil arrived today. The new coil is not marked with a (+) and (-) like the old coil. I hooked it up like the old coil (+) towards the front and it seems to be running top notch again. Easy starts and no coughs or sneezes.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO