lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
B4Forestry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Angry EZ GO/Jacobsen 350cc losing power

Needing a little help. I have a 01' Jacobsen Hauler, basically the same as an EZ GO Workhorse. It has the Robin 350cc engine. Replaced the motor about 3 years ago and within the last year or so it has lost half of its power. I cleaned the carb and replaced the plugs but didn't help. I only run ethanol free gas in it and it gets used everyday, going to the barn to feed, hauling fertilizer, landscaping, spraying yard etc. Today I replaced the fuel filter, air filter, choke cable(old one broke awhile back), plugs, changed the oil and filter and added a new carb. Guess what? It still runs about half power!!! The starter has started lately just humming when you go to crank it sometimes but eventually will go ahead and turn fast enough to start it. At a total loss, thought about replacing it but everything I have looked at really doesn't compare to the way this one is built(very heavy). Could the starter be holding it back? Last year the starter belt broke and the thing seemed like it had all the power it needed but as soon as I stopped and put a new belt on it eventually went weak. Does the starter somewhat act as a governor? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
B4Forestry is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ GO/Jacobsen 350cc losing power

I know it sounds kind of silly but have you checked all of the linkages & made sure the throttle is opening up all the way when you press the accelerator down completely? The reason I ask is you said it seemed to have started this after the starter belt "broke" and it's a possibility (small one) that it could have bent some of the throttle/cable linkage.
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
B4Forestry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

As far as I can tell nothing broke or bent other than the belt. Not a silly question at all. I have checked everything I can think of. I just hate throwing a lot of new parts and money at it and still having the same issues.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
B4Forestry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What should the compression be on the 350cc engine? Shouldn't need rebuilding, I hope, since the motor is only about 3 years old.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

THIS is a longshot, but it reminds me of something that I recently experienced with my Yamaha, which also has a fresh motor (and by fresh I mean late last fall fresh) ... I also was having a strange loss of power, especially with getting up to RPM's quickly. In the interim while also trying to figure it all out, my starter started doing the same sort of thing, so I did the old manual test to see if it was the brushes (which it was) - if you press the pedal and it hums, STOP immediately, lift the seat, and manually rotate the starter belt so it turns the starter pulley about 1/3 of a turn. Try it again, if it spins right up the odds are that your brushes need replacing. NOW - where this fits in is that after I did my brushes, WHAM like night and day the cart had all its' old zip, accel, power, etc back like day one. I have several theories on why this happened, none of which my limited engineering skills allow me to completely confirm or disprove, LOL - point is, it worked.

Pull the rubber plugs on your starter that allow access to the brushes and carefully pop one out. There should be a wear indicator line on the brush (if not, then they are DEFINITELY completely shot) - keep an eye on that bar as you retract the spring and replace the brush, if that bar slides past the brush holder, that too is a definitive indicator that the brushes need replacing (and the symptoms substantiate this, too) ...

ALL OF THIS, however, is assuming you have pulled all the ground connections, battery connections, starter cables, etc and thoroughly cleaned them, ensured they were tight, corrosion-free, etc (which You didn't mention but I would assume You did as part of the troubleshooting thus far)

Try the starter-rotation trick and see if that helps, then check the brushes (or just check the brushes straightaway and save a step) - hope this helped!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Oh, and 180lbs is excellent, anything under 120-ish is bad (although in some cases there have been posts from people running at 80) ... Come to think of it, if that engine is 3 years old I would think it's more than time to check and adjust the valves, when's the last time that was done?
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Put it in neutral, start the motor and check voltage to the battery. Should be 13 - 14.5. If the voltage regulator is bad it could be full fielding the generator which would give 18+ volts and put a heavy drag on the generator causing a power loss. The high voltage would also cause the coil to heat up and reduce it's output. Good luck, Bob
rvkersh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
B4Forestry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys, I am going to start this morning checking some of the things you have mentioned. I will respond back after I check. All the connections to starter, battery, etc. are corrosion free and tight but I have not adjusted the valves or checked voltage to see what it was. The starter does turn a little while its "humming" just not fast or strong enough to crank the motor(kinda loping). Again, thanks and will post back what I find.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
B4Forestry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Checked the compression. Both cylinders had 190 to 195, so compression isnt the issue. I adjusted the acelerator cable all the way out and it allowed it to open up a little more but its still at about 75% power feels like.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm with Big Mule. Make sure the carb is WOT with pedal fully depressed. The cable from the rear end to the carb might be frozen or pinched. Accelerator and throttle cables have to be adjusted in tandem to avoid these issues.
clubcarjeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ez go/jacobsen hauler
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO