lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
ekar
Not Yet Wild

Default Severe Hesitation Gas 2007 TXT 290CC

When accellerating, the cart hesitates for 3 to 5 seconds, then very slowly picks up speed. Occurs when engine is cold or hot. It's a dangerous situation as I have to cross auto traffic roads. Happens even when pedal is pedal to the metal. Pumping pedal does not make a difference. Govenor is set to 20-21mph. Cables alll set to manufacturers specs. Have to CHoke it on initial startup. Never had to choke it before replacing the carberator. Could it be the new carb?
Another question: What does the Micro Switch do?
ekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Severe Hesitation Gas 2007 TXT 290CC

Last question first, there are a few micro switches on a cart. At least there are on mine. The one I'd think you're talking about though is the one on the pedal. This one cuts the ignition when you let off the gas, and when you press the pedal down, it cranks the engine and sends power to the ignition.If it were faulty you'd have a dead cart.

Your first question, I'm not sure how your cart is rigged, but mine (88 Marathon) is set up in such a manner that the throttle cable doesn't pull the throttle open, but releases and allows a spring to open it. You might have a look with your seat off and verify that it's responding properly when you hit the gas.(engine off, key off, battery disconnected, just watch the throttle moving as you work the pedal)This is the easiest test I can think of. Besides that, I'd be guessing. Usually with a carb problem they'll just run like crap so I'm thinking that at least the inner workings, such as the jets and all that, are ok on your carb as long as when it finally does take off it runs ok.

Pumping the pedal will have no effect as this carb does not have an accelerator pump.

If you have the old carb yet, you might stick it back on to see if it changes anything. Just for kicks, what was the reason you switched out the carb in the first place?
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
ekar
Not Yet Wild

As I'm new to this, I found out that flooring the pedal is not the way to acellerate and causes it to instead hesitate. By slowly advancing the pedal, it does accellrate without the hesitation. So it was a matter of me and my driving technique as it ran fine at high speeds, and now from a stop.
I had the carb replaced becasue of severe backfiring. But that did not solve the problem. It continued to back fire after all the rods, linkages etc. were set to mfgr settings, and it still backfired often. UNTIL it was realized the previous owner had the gov settings to the high end or 25-26 mph. Reducing them to 20-21 mph, and the backfiring all but stopped!!!! Running about a 10 mile stretch and I had only a single bakfire. Living where I do, runniing a cart at 25-26mph will get you ticketed and fined about $259.00. So I can live with the gov set to 20-21 mph.
Thanks for the micro swith info. I can see I have a lot to learn.

Last edited by ekar; 05-11-2013 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 05-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

your carburator is not putting enough fuel in the engine, im not sure how micro switches came up as i did not see that in your post, i read your post as if the engine is rotating and trying to run, but not getting enough fuel when you mash the pedal to the floor, am i correct??? If so the carb is either slightly plugged up inside, weak fuel pump, or carb needs a bigger main jet. Im thinking plugged carb
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

It's not your technique. You should be able to mash that pedal as much as you want and the cart should go. I mean if it works to slowly put your foot down then by all means do it, but it should be that you can tromp that thing as hard as you want. You have some sort of issue still and it may get to the point where you can't even move no matter how slowly you accelerate.

As for the backfiring, I'm not sure about how your cart is set up but on mine there's a spring that wraps around the throttle cable and ensures that when the accelerator is released the throttle is completely shut. Many people have had issues of backfiring because that spring is out of whack, broken, or removed.

When you let off the gas, the throttle must shut off the fuel and the microswitch must kill the ignition simultaneously. If there is still fuel running, even a bit while the ignition is off, it will collect in the exhaust and the engine. Then once you hit the pedal again the fuel that has collected lights up and you get a good bang.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
ekar
Not Yet Wild

Guys, Thanks for all the help on my problems. The backfiring is now not an issue. Setting the govner to 20-21 mph solved that problem. But the hesitation is there when stopped, and then flooring the pedal, the cart just sits there for some seconds, then slowly accellerates if I let up on the pedal a little. Once I'm at max speed, it FLYS, especially going downhill. I'll check the speed downhill tomorrow with a GPS, but I swear that the govner isn't holding the speed to 20-21mph. Uphill, the speed drops horribly. I'll find that out tomorrow too. I think it might max out at 15 mph uphill if I'm lucky. On a straightaway, it holds fine at 20-21mph. BTW, the carb was bought on eBay, and installed by a person who claimed to be an EZGO mechanic. Carb was replaced thinking it was the cause of backfiring. Never had the hesitation with the old carb. Now I'm sorry it was replaced!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
ekar
Not Yet Wild

Latest Info on hesitation e3tc.
Severe and deadly hesitation when acellerating from a dead stop, or from slow idle at stops. Some hesitation when accellerating to normal speeds. Pushing pedal to the floor, hesitates for seconds, then very slowly acellerates. On downhill run, speed increases far beyond gov setting to as much as 31mph (GPS) with pedal depressed to floor. On uphill, slows down to 16 mph with pedal depressed to floor. On straightaway, speeds held to 20-21mph.
Also, loud backfire again detected twice on deaccelleration when foot is removed from pedal.
All cables have been set to factory default settings, and new aftermarket carb has been installed.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekar View Post
Latest Info on hesitation e3tc.
Severe and deadly hesitation when acellerating from a dead stop, or from slow idle at stops. Some hesitation when accellerating to normal speeds. Pushing pedal to the floor, hesitates for seconds, then very slowly acellerates. On downhill run, speed increases far beyond gov setting to as much as 31mph (GPS) with pedal depressed to floor. On uphill, slows down to 16 mph with pedal depressed to floor. On straightaway, speeds held to 20-21mph.
Also, loud backfire again detected twice on deaccelleration when foot is removed from pedal.
All cables have been set to factory default settings, and new aftermarket carb has been installed.
16 MPH uphill, at least for my cart, is positively flying. Of course I'm talking about hills where a car might not get out of second gear. I'm not sure how your's is built to handle hills though. 31 MPH downhill is kind of pushing the limits on what a cart was built for though. Any kind of crisis happens and you might be *** over tea kettle in the ditch.

I still want to know if that throttle is opening properly when you snap the pedal down. But that might not be the issue anyhow. Just an easy thing to check out and *could* be the cause.

What concerns me now, you say you'll be rolling downhill with your foot completely off the pedal and it will just backfire out of nowhere? If your foot is off the pedal your ignition should be switched off. Unless it happens when you hit a good bump or something and your pedal drops just enough to trigger the ignition for a second. This would also require the throttle to be mal adjusted as well though so now I'm confused.

Are you doing the work yourself or going to a shop?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
ekar
Not Yet Wild

16 MPH uphill, at least for my cart, is positively flying. Of course I'm talking about hills where a car might not get out of second gear. I'm not sure how your's is built to handle hills though. 31 MPH downhill is kind of pushing the limits on what a cart was built for though. Any kind of crisis happens and you might be *** over tea kettle in the ditch.

I still want to know if that throttle is opening properly when you snap the pedal down. But that might not be the issue anyhow. Just an easy thing to check out and *could* be the cause.

What concerns me now, you say you'll be rolling downhill with your foot completely off the pedal and it will just backfire out of nowhere? If your foot is off the pedal your ignition should be switched off. Unless it happens when you hit a good bump or something and your pedal drops just enough to trigger the ignition for a second. This would also require the throttle to be mal adjusted as well though so now I'm confused.

Are you doing the work yourself or going to a shop?

I wanted to see if the govner was kicking in, but found out when the pedal is to the metal, it will go as fast as possible. I was just checking the max speed with a GPS. I sure won't do that again!! Got that answer from a EZGO dealer.
It backfires as I reduce pedal pressure to clarify it. The last mech that worked on it set the throttle is opening properly, and all the linkages are at factory default position. I think at this point, he's going to put the old carb back in to see what happens, as it never hesitated like it is doing now. This is the third mechanic working on it at this point. This one seems to know what he's doing, and between the two of us, he's trying to figure these things out to get me satisfied. It's a shop at this point.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO