lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Schwy
Not Yet Wild

Default Clutch moves by hand

i'm just wondering. My cart bogs down to a slow very slow crawl up hills. I have read on here about the clutches and it is confusing. I am able to move the both clutches by hand I thought they should be stiffer than this. If it is a clutch issue were should I start? with the drive or the driven. It doesn't spin the tires but will get up to a quick speed on the flat. Thanks for the Help
Schwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Clutch moves by hand

define "Move" - meaning you can compress/expand them by tugging on the sheaves, or that You can spin them when the cart is "off" (and if there is amisunderstanding here, do NOT try to spin them by hand when it's running, LOL) ...

I ask because with a non-running cart, you *should* be able to spin the drive clutch (on the motor) with no resistance other than the engines compression, same with the driven (rear axle) if the gearshift is in neutral. The belt only becomes tensioned once the engine gains RPM and the drive clutch "closes", then as You gain RPM the driven clutch "opens" ....

If what You're saying is that you can pull or push the 2 parts of the clutch together or apart laterally, well on the drive clutch that's AOK, on the driven though you should have a considerable resistance.

Two different "Move by Hand" scenarios, please throw some more details into the mix and we'll see what we can come up with
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Schwy
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the reply. what I meant was that they just rotated easily. haven't taken the covers off yet. I'm new to this and am not sure were to start. Should I take the covers off and check to see if I can move the two pieces ?? I'm looking into this as to I have read that the clutch sticking is the possible cause of the loss in power on an inlcine.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
Schwy
Not Yet Wild

I took off the cover and found that I have a comet clutch. If I block it up and run it what am I looking for the clutch to do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00000121.jpg (124.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

if you block it up, you will see (as the RPM's increase) that the drive clutch will suck inward or close as the friven clutch pushes outward or opens. Like I said, they should actually spin freely (although the engine drag will be there on the drive clutch, obviously) - while you're in there messing around, prob a good time to check your drive belt (which if worn can also rob power) - What model and year is the cart?
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Schwy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Brew. The cart in question is an 80 marathon with a 2pg 244cc robins in it. i'm goin gto block it this afternoon and check the motion. There is two belts. a smaller one and then there is a larger one the larger one has grooves on the inside but were it attatches in front of the clutch it is just riding on a smooth shaft. is that right? The belt I am talking about is pointed to with red and the shaft it is riding on is pointed at in blue.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
Schwy
Not Yet Wild

sorry forgot to attatch photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comet cluth.jpg (100.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
Schwy
Not Yet Wild

here is a video of the clutches moving.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO