lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
bigcbizle
Getting Wild

Default made the switch! and have questions

Well after many years with my old yamaha g1 i decided to let her go
Just picked up a 2004 ezgo gas cart tonight and i have a few question
First off it has a factory fuel gauge that is not working? Anyone have a ideal of how to test it as far as what wire should shouldnt have power ground
My other question is about the gov
I ran the 10mm nut almost all the way in and took it for a spin. The cart seem to run great but it gets to the point where it flat lines and then slows down maby 3mph? I cant tell if its the gov kicking in or the rev limiter
Sorry for the goofy questions but im new to the four stroke carts
bigcbizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
Rastus
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: made the switch! and have questions

gov is kicking in. loosening and tightenibg the gov nut will determine how much you fight the gov
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
beater cart
Gone Wild

For the gas gauge use a jumper and touch it to the two wires on the sender if the gauge pegs full the sender is bad if the gauge does not move try running a jumper from a good ground source to the center terminal on the sender and see if the gauge pegs full then all you will need to do apply a good ground to sender. If gauge still did not move you will have to pull dash to see if gauge has a ground and power lead to it.
More than likely the sender is bad you can pickup a universal sender for a boat I believe that will work fine for you.
beater cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
beater cart
Gone Wild

For your governor also check to make sure your throttle cables are adjusted to eliminate any slack that may be in them.
beater cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
bigcbizle
Getting Wild

Hey thanks guys i will be working on it tonight
I was planning on a 6" lift with 14" wheels 23" tires with a 1" shorter drive belt
Anybody running that combo on here? Will it kill the low end power and what should i expect for top speed
Old 05-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The 295's have a rev limiter, so after a set of 23's and getting the governor dialed in (which isn't as easy as "crank it down" because You'll hit a point where You're hitting the limiter regularly which really sucks, the trick is to crank it down until You're flirting with the RL and then let it out a bit - really smooths the response and top end out) you should be right around that 23mph mark. A set of high-speed gears will get You closer to 30 depending on the ratio you install, but that will definitely affect your low end even with a shorter belt.

My Workhorse had a 6" with 23's and when running perfectly finally dialed in at 22-23mph on the flats, a shorter belt will rob you of 1-2mph but is SO worth it with bigger tires, doesn't *quite* offset the extra "oomph" required to compensate but comes really, really close and actually gives You a bit *more* power under load and on hills.

Sounds like a good setup to me from experience :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
bigcbizle
Getting Wild

Ok quick question i have a cheap digital tach i got from ebay
What plug wire should the pick up be wraped around
Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
bigcbizle
Getting Wild

Ok guys i have the tach installed and took it down the road
Runs great but seem to flaten out around 4100-4200rpm cheap ebay tach could be off a little
Anyhow i read 4300 rpms is the factory rev lim? Problem is i really dont hear a rev limiter?
10mm gov nut is cranked all the way in. It run great up to that point and then just sort of bogs dowm and drop about 2-3mph
Would i be able to just jack the cart up and run it wide open with my tach hooked up and set the gov to about 4100rpm?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

That "Bogging" likely IS the limiter kicking in, if You back the nut off a bit on the governor it will smooth out that "drop" a bit and make it less annoying ... 4K is a much safer place to be, BTW - the rev limiter is designed to keep the motor from destroying itself, so staying a little bit away from that point is quite a safe bet IMHO
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO