lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #11
greg-g
Gone Wild

Default Re: finished voltage on charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
I'd certinly expect someone to back up their claims if they are going to make such harsh comment....
Well almost all computers use HF Chargers not sure one is better than the other but certainly equal
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #12
greg-g
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart Sports View Post
DPI is a Transformer-Style charger just like the CC charger. Unless you are going to a Lester Summit or some other electronic, high-frequency charger, you are just pulling your dick.
Well I would get one just because it would feel good
Old 05-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
Well almost all computers use HF Chargers not sure one is better than the other but certainly equal
That's right. I can google the site and find 50 posts that say DPI is great, I'm happy with my DPI charger, I would not recommend anything but DPI, etc.
Yet this guy who is supposed to be a responsible sponsor posts this product is junk without any facts or statistics to substantiate his wild claim. Seems wrong to me.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:55 PM   #14
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well, at least I didn't have to get out my tin hat for all his detailed data.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:37 PM   #15
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Ease up kids...Geez!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:53 AM   #16
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

I went around with this thread but just felt I needed to give 2 cents. First off, I like the original transformer and OBC method, yes out dated but was reliable for many years that charger was easy to work on, cheap to fix and runs like mad. If taken care of you're batteries last a really long time under normal conditions. So now the trigger is we buy these used cart, modify them to the hilt and rewire all sorts of things and yes you start showing the weak spots like the OBC and how fragile they can be. These transformer style chargers give these batteries a hard deep fast charge cycle which is what they need , the DPI just takes it one step farther and adds more to enhance that by eliminating the OBC and adding more indeterminate charging to put your batteries at even better state than before, hopefully getting even more out of them. Lester offers the fully enclosed/sealed on board charger as another option to their regular transformer style chargers. The price is very comparable and like any manufacturer I bet either one would back their products if they want continual business. This argument is basically down to one manufacturer to another, to say one is better than the other is ludicrous to say the least, it is Ford vrs. Chevy LOL

I wouldn't hesitate to spend my hard earned money on either one, I would find it hard to believe either wouldn't back their product and either one would preform as they should.

JMO though we all have opinions and sometimes a bad experience may make us wanting to go in one certain direction, it happens.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #17
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

I have seen NUMEROUS sets of batteries last for much longer than what everyone says they should when being charged by the old style timer chargers. Yes, the new microprocessor chargers are great, and there are several brands which all essentially do the same thing: charge batteries - but in the end how good your batteries are taken care of and how long they last is up to YOU. The best charger in the world won't make a set of batteries any better or worse, that's the cart owner's job.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #18
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
Either way that has nothing to do with CS claiming that DPI is junk and that we are just pulling our dicks.... If he has such a superior product to offer then he should be backing up his claim and not pulling our dicks...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:16 AM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think the biggest point of contention was probably the use of words like "high tech" and "modern" to describe a DPI charger.

It is really an old technology with a $1 micro-controller.

The High Frequency charging technology can offer a lot of benefits, of course just because a charger is based on the latest technology does not mean it will be any good by default.

By converting the 60Hz AC outlet frequency to 50kHz-100kHz, allows the use of very small inductors. The resulting rectified DC is also a lot cleaner as the ripple voltage is almost non-existing at those high frequencies.

The HF chargers also use MOSFETs (IGBTs), in a PWM fashion to better control the charging algorithms.

There are also trade offs as the component count on a HF charger is considerably more than traditional chargers, but time will judge their reliability.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:41 AM   #20
greg-g
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I think the biggest point of contention was probably the use of words like "high tech" and "modern" to describe a DPI charger.

It is really an old technology with a $1 micro-controller.

The High Frequency charging technology can offer a lot of benefits, of course just because a charger is based on the latest technology does not mean it will be any good by default.

By converting the 60Hz AC outlet frequency to 50kHz-100kHz, allows the use of very small inductors. The resulting rectified DC is also a lot cleaner as the ripple voltage is almost non-existing at those high frequencies.

The HF chargers also use MOSFETs (IGBTs), in a PWM fashion to better control the charging algorithms.

There are also trade offs as the component count on a HF charger is considerably more than traditional chargers, but time will judge their reliability.
Agreed but probably the biggest point of going to HF charger is the cost, look up the cost of a replacement transformer for any transformer charger it will cost more for the transformer then the whole charger did. They can build a complete circuit board populated for $30 it would cost you that much just to look at a transformer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car