lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
arcart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO 36V Charger Tripping Breaker

New Guy background. Inherited poorly maintained EZGO Cart with job. Not even sure what model....ID plate missing.

Battery cables severely corroded. Replaced with new universal 4gauge cable set. Cart ran better than ever! Plug into charger, couple of green light flashes then charger 'pops' and trips breaker at circuit breaker panel.

Cables were changed one at a time. I'm confident all went back as originally positioned but charger worked before and don't like coincidences?

I've lurked here and other forums and haven't heard of problems just from going to 4 gauge vs 6. Any help and/or insight is greatly appreciated!
arcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: EZGO 36V Charger Tripping Breaker

Sounds like a charger problem, not cart problem. Maybe bad diode or shorted transformer. Was the charger working? (i guessing charger was "unknown")
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
arcart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, the charger was working....at least as far as I know.

Cart just stopped working one day. After repeated attempts to charge found one of the cables corroded almost all the way thru and would actually smoke when accelerator was pressed. Replaced cables and she ran like a champ. The next time I plugged in to charge is when I discovered this new issue with the charger tripping the breaker.

I'm a retired Navy 'Hornet' mechanic and related gripes almost always traced back to the last maintenance action. Just trying to see if somehow replacing the cables caused my problem or the original issue (cables corroded thru) somehow fried the charger?

Appreciate the response and any additional insight you or other members might have.
arcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:28 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If everything was actually put back as it was before, then you didnt fry the charger by doing a cable swap, unless you did the cable swap while the charger was plugged into the cart.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Try plugging charger into an other outlet. That could rule out a bad charger.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO