lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #1
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Club Cart IQ charger not turning off ?

Have a 2005 club cart IQ and power drive 2 charger . Charger worked fine and shut off before. I let cart sit for a few weeks and then charged the batteries and the charger wouldnt turn off. Checked the water levels and they were low, so topped them back off with distilled water. Hooked charger back up and still won't turn off after 22hr. The batteries hold charge as I checked them with a meter and they all have 8+ volts and the whole pack reads 50volts after sitting a few hours and taking a ride around the block. Charger does start at about 15amps and goes down to 4-5amps but stays at that level...

Thoughts? Anything to check or the batteries got ruined from charging with low water?

Thanks for any help.
Beerman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Cart IQ charger not turning off ?

Charger is dumb and depends on the OBC to turn it on/off etc.... OBC should have timed out after 16 hours. You may have a failing OBC; I've read comments about switching to TOW and disconnecting the battery pack from the cart for least 10 minutes to reset the OBC and restore normal operations. BUT I see that as risky as the OBC is failing to turn off the charger and that is dangerous.

Keep in mind too that 50.0 volts across the pack is only 80 % state of charge so that really is kind of an issue for a pack that should be at or near full charge at 51 volts....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

It sounds like the OBC has failed. You need to check the voltage while it's charging. If the total pack voltage comes up to 58.3V or higher, the OBC should sense a full charge and turn the charger off shortly after it reaches that voltage. If it's reaching that voltage but not turning off, replace the OBC. I'm assuming it's a DS and not a Precedent. If so, the correct OBC part number is 103359401
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok I'll check the pack while on charge. Yes it's a DS. Thanks
Old 10-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

These guys know a lot more about carts than I do,But I had a 99 DS that did the same thing, it had weak batteries that would not charge to 58 volts no matter how long the charger was on. I kelp them topped off with water and charged them over night then took the charger off. Then I done that for about three days or so and finely the charger turned off on its own, I never drove the cart more than about 5 minutes between each cycle. Turns out the OBC was just fine, the cart has new batteries and has not had a problem for over six months now. Hang in there and keep your head up.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok, yeah I'm leaning toward the batteries just not getting to peak performance, probably hurt them by charging with low water levels since I didn't realize they had gotten that low. Cart still runs fine, guess I'll just kill these batteries and go from there.

I did try the OBC reset but can't get the reverse buzzer to sound during the reset procedure....any thoughts?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman24 View Post
Ok, yeah I'm leaning toward the batteries just not getting to peak performance, probably hurt them by charging with low water levels since I didn't realize they had gotten that low. Cart still runs fine, guess I'll just kill these batteries and go from there.

I did try the OBC reset but can't get the reverse buzzer to sound during the reset procedure....any thoughts?
The reverse buzzer won't sound on an IQ car. The correct procedure is to leave it disconnected from all power for 10-15 minutes and reconnect it. That will reboot it.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The reverse buzzer won't sound on an IQ car. The correct procedure is to leave it disconnected from all power for 10-15 minutes and reconnect it. That will reboot it.

Thank you for that info! They should note that somewhere, I've been scratching my head about the reverse buzzer sound.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Came home, disconnected the power for bit reconnected and now have charger on it. Started at 15amps and went to 5 pretty quick. Checked pack and have exactly 58volts while charger is on. Will check again in a few hrs
Old 10-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Individual battery voltages are more important near the end of the charge cycle.

If you have a bad battery, it will have a much lower voltage than the others at the end of the cycle.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car