lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2015, 12:15 AM   #1
tateallen2
Not Yet Wild

Default Suggestions please... just got a new cart

I just picked up this cart this week. I'm very happy with it so far, but plan to make a few changes. The cart is a 2000 36 volt TXT PDS. It has been used on the golf course the past 10 years by a responsible man that has taken good care of it (at least so it seems). As far as I know the only modifications are the lift, tires, and mud flaps. I was told the batteries are 2 years old, but the date on them is 7/11 which is more than 4 years old. The batteries charged to 37.9 volts with each battery ranging between 6.27 and 6.39 volts. He said he had no problem getting through 18 holes on them.

Driving down the gravel road I was doing 14 MPH and when I hit the hill I go up it slowed to 10 MPH. The steering is loose. This is the first cart I've driven with larger tires and lift kit so I don't know if the different feel in steering is due to that or due to parts that need to be replaced. I greased all steering linkage and tightened the tie rods and that helped, but it is still loose and as you drive it tends to quickly move from one side of the road to the other with just a slight movement in the wheel if I move it past its normal slop. I was only able to tighten the tie rods so much before I ran out of threads so they are still loose some and wobble in each side. I'm worried that if I only buy new tie rods they will still fit loose due to excessive wear with them being how they have been for so long.

The rear springs also look excessively flat. Should I replace them and what benefit will that give me? The battery cables appear to be in decent condition, but this is my first electric cart so I don't really know what to compare them to. They tires have been on there for at least the past 10 years. Should I consider replacing them sooner or just wait for them to go completely bad?

I'm not looking to drop a lot of money into cart, but I do plan add a DC to DC reducer, front LED light bar, a battery voltage indicator, a flip rear seat, and possibly a freedom chip. The rear seat won't get used much by additional passengers, but I'd like to have the ability to carry them when I need to and I need some way to haul the trash. This cart will mostly be used to pick up the mail and drop off the trash about a 1/2 mile away. In the summer it will get used a few times to spray for weeds along fences and driveways. (I worry about that a bit as I've read the PDS motor do not like prolonged use as very low speeds.... I'd appreciate any comments on that).

Thanks for any suggestions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart 1.jpg (212.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Batteries.jpg (214.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Flat Springs.jpg (212.5 KB, 0 views)
tateallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2015, 12:34 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Suggestions please... just got a new cart

if you go with the flip rear seat HD springs are a must
your cables look great , tires too
you may want to pull batteries and check for rust in battery tray
your rear spring bushings need to be replaced ASAP
check your king pins for wear , could be causing steering problem
7/11 does mean july 2011. but well maintained batteries can last 5~6 years
Old 11-01-2015, 12:43 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

What rear spring bushings, they are totally gone. Thats not a "soon" repair, thats a "stop driving it 'till its fixed" repair.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
tdump
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes on those spring bushings, fix that soon
tdump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

38.2 is a full charge. 37.9v is 90%. Look to get new batteries soon.

Use XCT400PDS or DCX400PDS for 35% more torque and speeds up to 24 mph
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:09 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Looks can be deceiving with high current cables. If any of them are getting hot, they need to be fixed/replaced. (All 10 of them should be 4Ga or thicker.)

At 37.9v, you battery pack is being charged to a bit over 90%. The batteries are over 4 years old, so new batteries are in the foreseeable future, but you might be able to perk them up a bit by doing some back-to-back charges. IE: Initiate a new charge cycle two or three times a day whether you drive the cart or not. After a week or two of that routine, they may start holding a better charge.

Your tire size appears to be 20x10-10 (Flat Spring Photo), which is about 2" taller than stock, so you are loosing about 10% of the torque the motor produces due to the change the increased tire height makes in the final drive ratio.

In freedom mode with fully charged batteries and good high current cables, you ought to get about 20 MPH on a level hard surface, but will slow quite a bit on inclines due to the torque loss.

With the controllers Scotty suggested, the speed would be close to 27 MPH on your 20" tires.
With the xct, the motor RPM can be limited, so you can limit the cart speed to whatever you think is prudent.

What you heard about PDS motor not liking to run slow is true. Actually, no cart motor likes to run slow, sepex motors like the PDS just like it less than series motors. They can get mighty hot mighty quick at low RPM and having taller tires means the motor turns slower at any given cart speed.

Staying above 1000 RPM is a good idea for prolonged tasks like spraying weeds. That is about 4.8MPH with 20" tires.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

as its been said,. THE BUSHINGS!! I just did that on my cart....just remember to get 6 pair.

I got mine off of amazon as a complete set.....even though they aren't EZGO, they are the same. The rear leaf spring bushings are the same for both EZGO and Club Car.

http://www.amazon.com/Precedent-Electric-Golf-Cart-Bushing/dp/B008V1MKGM/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51wOjl1LU4L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=01ZSNJVEPJ3YG0124W6R http://www.amazon.com/Precedent-Electric-Golf-Cart-Bushing/dp/B008V1MKGM/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51wOjl1LU4L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=01ZSNJVEPJ3YG0124W6R
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
tateallen2
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The bushings are in the plans... I took a photo to show how bad they were, but it was so obvious to me they needed to be replaced I didn't even ask and I forgot to mention my plans for that. I'll get that done next.

The springs I'll change out when I add the rear seat kit.

I've started back to back charging to see if it improves the batteries.

I love the idea of the XTC controller, but I'm going to hold out a bit and hope they come out with one soon that will have multiple profiles that can be easily switched. Does anyone know if that it is coming out in the near future????

I will check for rust under the batteries and I will also look into the king pins.

Before I do much I want to get the steering better.

Thanks again!
tateallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #9
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I noticed you said you want a LED light bar.I got my Cree 10" light bar off Ebay for $21. with free shipping from a US seller.
Yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The Alltrax XCT can be changed easily with a laptop but not at the flip of a switch. Curtis makes a 1268 controller that allows 2 modes that can be changed at the flip of a switch. It does require a hand held programmer to tweak it once installed however..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO