lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
Night life
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default DPI charger run time?

I just hooked up my new Dpi charger for the first time after bypassing the OBC (currently only with the 10a cable to pack negative, haven't connected the white and blue together yet- I believe this shouldn't effect the charging correct?)

after plug in, yellow light blinked for a few seconds then solid red and yellow. That was at 7:30 this morning, it is 6:30pm. Batteries are 20 month old Crowns. The water level was a little low, but not below the plates and I was waiting for a full charge to refill.

11 hours later, the charger is very warm to the touch, the batteries themselves are also very warm and currently only showing 53.8 volts. individually the batteries are all within .05 of each other with the batteries closest to pack positive being a little higher. I feel like the charger should have shut down already.... Are my batteries toast? Just bought the Cart so i have no information about the batteries condition in the past.

Thanks,

Barry
Night life is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: DPI charger run time?

If I was in your situation here's what I would do. I would get my old CC charger and bypass the charge relay so that it would run w/o the OBC being connected. Then plug it into my cart and let it run for a few hours. Or until the voltage increased to about 63 volts. Theory is that the DPI doesn't have any provisions for an equalization charge. Plugging the PD charger in w/o the OBC will equalize the batteries. Do this about every 30 days to keep your batteries in good condition. If this doesn't work your batteries are "toast".
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Seems also that the crowns need some more "push" as in amps. Bypassing the original charger is a good idea to get them fully charged.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Is the DPI set up for your batteries. What is the amp reading?
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #5
ZZTOP
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds to me like Night life would like to get his new DPI charger working and charging his batteries. Not how to get his batteries to charge with his old charger that didn't work. That's why he bought a new charger

Check each battery and see what the volts are. That will tell you which battery is bad if you have one or two
ZZTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
Night life
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Is the DPI set up for your batteries. What is the amp reading?

Yes, I adjusted the charger to mode 4

Amps on charger show 15
Old 01-06-2017, 07:32 PM   #7
Night life
Gone Wild

Club Car

I feel like the volts should be way past 53 at this point. There is significant heat coming from the batteries. I can start to feel the heat 10" over the batteries
Old 01-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #8
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I can start to feel the heat 10" over the batteries
Keep an eye on the water and it should be ok. It's sounding like a bad battery. What is your voltage when you disconnect the charger. You are not by any chance reading the float voltage? What led's are on now?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

If you are still showing 15 amps on charger after 11 hours, you have a bad battery or connection somewhere.

Turn off charger and try to find problem.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:33 PM   #10
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night life View Post
I feel like the volts should be way past 53 at this point. There is significant heat coming from the batteries. I can start to feel the heat 10" over the batteries
If you can feel significant heat coming from your batteries from a foot away you've got problems such as a bad battery, batteries or connections... As commented by Mrgolf if you're still drawing 15 amps after 11 hours you need to unplug and do further testing to find the issues... I've got Crown batteries and a DPI charger and while the charger gets warm the batteries do not and have only needed water once since new to which they are well over 2 years old. Now keep in mind that the DPI float voltage is just about 53 volts...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car