lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 AM   #1
BNB1023
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default What is an MCOR ?

I've read through the sticky, and did not understand exactly what MCOR stood for, or exactly what it does. Maybe add an explanation to the sticky. Is MCOR an acronym for something? What are usual symptoms is it is going bad?

2009 Precedent IQ
BNB1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What is an MCOR ?

Motor controller output regulator. It takes the place of a potentiometer on a Club Car (actually, there’s one in it).

It is connected to the rod from the accelerator pedal, and it basically tells the controller how far you are pushing the pedal down, and how fast the controller should make the motor spin.

Luke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
Tiretrauma
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Simply put, its a throttle position sensor. Tells the controller how far the gas pedal has been pushed. Symptoms can vary but most commonly you will see your golf cart go normally, after stopping or letting off the gas, it will not go the same speed or the cart will be jerky, you may find yourself pushing the pedal super hard lol. These can cause a lot of headache but super easy to fix. Hope this helps.
Tiretrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is a devilish device invented by a sinister engineer who never owned a golf cart. Club Car bought the idea and installed it every cart in the last 10-15 years insuring many years of throttle response complaints which would keep their dealers rolling in repair money.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default What is an MCOR ?

I don’t know if this has been discussed before and I’ve just never noticed it, but has anyone considered making an aftermarket MCOR? Since it’s really just a potentiometer, TPS, whatever you want to call it, how come we can’t just swap it out all together with something else that is more reliable?

Does the MCOR do something else in addition to sending the throttle position to the controller that comes into play here? What about if you have an aftermarket controller like an Alltrax that can be set for various types of throttle input signals? Could the MCOR get swapped out with a unit from an EZGO or Yamaha?

ADD: Scottyb, I read that first sentence and almost spit my coffee out all over my keyboard. LMAO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The MCOR is just a very heavy duty potentiometer, much better than the curtis or any other cart on the market that uses the small form factor potentiometer.

I think the real issue is the pedal assembly.

Club Car reduced the parts count tremendously from the old DS design when they created the Precedent, but the direct coupling of the MCOR shaft into the pedal assembly I believe was a mistake.

I analyzed some fluctuations I saw on my Alltrax monitor and posted a picture on how the wear on the shaft was causing "free play" that torqued/flexed the MCOR arm.

It seems like they could improve the pedal assembly <-> MCOR coupling so it would not transfer the flex/torque to the MCOR internal arm.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The MCOR is just a very heavy duty potentiometer, much better than the curtis or any other cart on the market that uses the small form factor potentiometer.

I think the real issue is the pedal assembly.

Club Car reduced the parts count tremendously from the old DS design when they created the Precedent, but the direct coupling of the MCOR shaft into the pedal assembly I believe was a mistake.

I analyzed some fluctuations I saw on my Alltrax monitor and posted a picture on how the wear on the shaft was causing "free play" that torqued/flexed the MCOR arm.

It seems like they could improve the pedal assembly <-> MCOR coupling so it would not transfer the flex/torque to the MCOR internal arm.
I agree with this. I have noticed throttle fluctuations on my IQDM while rocking the pedal side to side on some cars
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #8
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

If one of your problems is the cart being jerky or surging, especially at low throttle inputs, then I had that problem also.

Scottyb and others suggested to put the cart into neutral and pump the accelerator pedal about twenty times (I have done up to 50 times just to be sure). When you go back to Forward (or reverse) you'll probably find that it is much smoother.

I'm sure that what is happening is that you are simply moving the wiper over the coils of the potentiometer and removing some of the scale that builds up so that you get a cleaner signal. It works and it's free!

I also agree with Sergio and Tahoe about the play in the pedal assembly.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
...I think the real issue is the pedal assembly....
Sergio, have you had any experience with replacement pedal assemblies such as the one that scottyb sells with his conversion kits? Would one of those coupled with an Alltrax controller solve the MCOR problems?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pedal assembly.jpg (124.9 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The pedal assembly we import for the conversion kits uses a hall effect sensor which is far superior to the potentiometer. But just because CC uses a pot doesn't mean it has to be junk. In 1990 Ezgo introduced the first solid state drives using a potentiometer throttle known as Curtis PB-6.
Most of those units worked near perfectly for 25-30 years !
...So there is more than just a pedal torque problem with the MCOR. There is a materials or another mechanical flaw as well IMHO.

Personally I think if you buy into the Club Car you buy into the MCOR, the rough suspension, and before 2014, the on board computer.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car