lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
lupin36
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Power Drive charger not working 95ClubCar 48V.

You can bypass the relay in the charger. There are 4 connections.........2 small blade and 2 larger. You want to place a jumper wire between the 2 larger terminals. Unplug the charger from power.........install jumper.....plug charger back in and into cart. If charger starts working replace the relay. Should be about $12.00 to $18.00 bucks
Attached Images
File Type: gif relay.gif (7.3 KB, 19 views)
lupin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
bigdad
Not Yet Wild

the relay is obviously internal. So Ineed to pull the cover of the charger (unplugged!) and then I will see the relay I suppose. Do I just leave it plugged in and jumper the "larger"terminals. how will I recognize which are "larger" or will it be obvious? Maybe justtaking it somewhere to be checked is best for me, with little knowledge. Again, any suggestions of the type of shop, or recommendations around Knoxville, TN> Want to get it going before batteries slowly discharge obvviously! thks again and sorry for being so inept but that's why we have these forums. for the experts to help the novice...thkss...bigdad Wires appear to be ok on charger, not loose, so it's probably some component inside, like transformer, or ? This relay thing sounds like I might be able to do it but not sure how to recognize the long vs. short terminals to jump>
bigdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you have a golf cart shop nearby they can check the charger. Usually for free. If not..... you may want to invest $20 in a cheap voltmeter and go back to checking the pack voltage since the charger is designed not to work if the battery voltage is too low as recommended by several members right off the bat here. Good luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #14
lupin36
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdad View Post
the relay is obviously internal. So Ineed to pull the cover of the charger (unplugged!) and then I will see the relay I suppose. Do I just leave it plugged in and jumper the "larger"terminals. how will I recognize which are "larger" or will it be obvious? Maybe justtaking it somewhere to be checked is best for me, with little knowledge. Again, any suggestions of the type of shop, or recommendations around Knoxville, TN> Want to get it going before batteries slowly discharge obvviously! thks again and sorry for being so inept but that's why we have these forums. for the experts to help the novice...thkss...bigdad Wires appear to be ok on charger, not loose, so it's probably some component inside, like transformer, or ? This relay thing sounds like I might be able to do it but not sure how to recognize the long vs. short terminals to jump>
The relay is internal and is mounted with 2 small screws that are just above the circuit breaker. You do have to remove the cover. No biggie, just remove the screws. There are usually 12 screws.....4 on each side and 4 on top holding the handle on. When you get the cover off you will remove the 2 larger terminals from the relay(they are obviously larger) and place the jumper between the wires you removed not on the relay itself.
lupin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

lupin36....... not everyone is comfortabe working with slectrical devices that they know nothing about ..... I never suggest someone do some mechanical or electrical service they are not comfortable with. Especially jumpering (hot wiring) a transformer ... While the advice you posted is correct it just isn't for everyone.... some people come here just looking for some insight into what their problem may be so that they can then go to a shop or dealer with some understanding of the problem.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #16
bigdad
Not Yet Wild

you are so so right about that...I contactd a local shop and he thought it could be in the OBC on the cart charging system or something in the charger, so he is finding a duplicate cart and charger as mine (local fire chief has one and is his friend). Then try each charger on each cart and see if or any work, and then he will know what is likely wrong...once again, thkx for being so responsive. This fellow is fairly local and even coming by to do the testing for me since I am disabled and will be at a dr. appt. this aftrernoon...can't beat good caring people! bigdad
Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #17
bigdad
Not Yet Wild

My local fellow came down and found that a wire on the extreme passenger side on top of one of the far right batteries had a broken wire (corroded off). He repaired and attached to the battery and then plugged in charger and the charger started and has been charging several hours. Crazy thing is that the cart would run strongly after I manually charged each battery individually yesterday (I backed it out of garage and pulled it up so he could check it, while I was at dr. office, and it pulled like new). Now after charging the cart doesn't run forward or backward! I had to have it pushed back into my garage. My charger is working, the missing/corroded wire to battery was replaced and now it doesn't work! I will call him tomorrow. What a nice fellow though, he did all of this, coming to my house, and repairing and plugging it in to charge while I was gone, and wouldn't accept any payment for his work. Obviously something may still be wrong, but what nice people there are in the world, here in east TN the people are just generous and thoughtful. God bless 'em. Why can 't the world be more like that? oh well....thks you guys, you also have been generous with your knowledge and time....I used to participate in an auto repair forum (used to be an amateur mechanic and rebuilt motorcycle engines and repair mine and friends cars) and always felt good helping someone solve a puzzle and SAVE them lots of money......and get personal satisfaction as well....bigdad
Old 04-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #18
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Just a thought, don't know if your cart has one or not but what about a "run/tow switch" under the seat. Maybe he put it in tow mode to work on the cart, and forgot to flip it back after seeing the charger start working??
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #19
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
Just a thought, don't know if your cart has one or not but what about a "run/tow switch" under the seat. Maybe he put it in tow mode to work on the cart, and forgot to flip it back after seeing the charger start working??
Nope...

The charger should charge in run, or tow!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #20
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Nope...

The charger should charge in run, or tow!
His post said his cart wasn't moving after being worked on for a charging problem...apparently the charger is working now...its the cart thats not Happened after being worked on in his garage/driveway.

I too am guilty of reading posts way too fast and then losing sight of the point trying to be made sometimes
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car