lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Babyboomerboy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default New member with questions about a textron

Hello all. This is my first post. I just bought my first golf cart and I would like to get some information if possible. It is a E-Z Go Textron. The serial number is 495180 and the manufactory number is J1188. Can someone tell me what year it is? It is electric and the batteries will take a charge but doesn’t stay up very long. When I bought this cart I knew I would need new batteries but if there is a way to extend the life of the batteries in it now that would be great. I would also like to know what kind of a controller it has. Is there a place where I could get a full fact sheet on this cart. Also, what can I do to speed it up and what would you do with this cart if it was yours? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks again
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New member with questions about a textron

Welcome the BGW!

Here is what your serial number says it is:

Search Results

Make: Marathon
Type: Electric
Model: Electric 4-wheel Marathon
Year: 1988

I'm not sure if that is a Resistor drive or a Controller drive, but if has a controller it's probably a Curtis 1204.

You might get a little more run-time from the batteries by charging them repeatedly with out discharging them much, if any, between charges.

The stock speed is about 12MPH. What speed do you want to get to?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Taykol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Cart year 1988. Check water level in batteries. Cover plates if visible.
For fact sheet check the stickies on ezgo.
Taykol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Babyboomerboy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you for the replies. I don't think I am getting 12 miles an hour with the cart right now. I will charge up the batteries a few times and see if that helps. Since we are moving into winter, I live in Kansas, I don't really want to buy a new set of batteries and have them just sit until spring. I have read that replacing the battery wires with 4 gauge wires might help with the speed. Is there anything else I can do to pep my cart up a little? Thanks again
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You've got a series wound motor and the RPM of a series wound motor is more or less determined by the voltage applied to it while the torque is determined by the amps flowing through it.

If your high current cables are getting hot (or warm) they have resistance in them and are stealing voltage that ought to be being applied to the motor.
The same is true for all the connectors and contacts in the high current circuit.

Measure the battery Pack voltage while driving at top speed over a level hard surface and then measure the voltage between the B+ and M- (Might be labeled M1) terminal on the controller while driving at top speed on same stretch of road. The difference in the two voltages is what is being lost in the cables, Connections, F/R contacts and Solenoid contacts. (Note: Up to 0.5V per 100A of current flow will be dropped within the controller itself.)

Also things like under-inflated tires, dry/bad wheel bearings, dragging brake shoes and improper front end alignment will reduce speed.

After the electrical resistance and mechanical drag has been eliminated as much as possible or practical, to get more speed, you will have to increase the battery pack voltage and/or change the final drive ratio.

Installing taller tires will effectively change the final drive ratio, but changing the final drive for more speed will proportionally reduce torque and to recover the lost torque, you have to increase the current flow (amps) through the motor.

It is going to cost some money just to get the cart running at stock speeds, going faster that that will cost more money.
How much it will cost depends on how fast you want it to go.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO