lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
runester
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Can't find '80 battery wiring diagram

Hi everyone.
I am having a heck of a time trying to locate a wiring diagram for my 1980 ezgo. I assume it is an '80. Mod #8018 Ser#215943. The motor is perpendicular to the rear drive axle. I am trying to wire the batteries and a close up of the F/R switch wiring would be nice. Thanks for any assistance.
runester is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
runester
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can't find '80 battery wiring diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by runester View Post
Hi everyone.
I am having a heck of a time trying to locate a wiring diagram for my 1980 ezgo. I assume it is an '80. Mod #8018 Ser#215943. The motor is perpendicular to the rear drive axle. I am trying to wire the batteries and a close up of the F/R switch wiring would be nice. Thanks for any assistance.
OK update. Evidently I have a pre '76 cart because when I searched it the pre '76 carts ID plate is under the drivers seat attached to fender skirt. That is where mine is located. So the 80 in the model number does not indicate an 1980 cart. STILL CAN'T FIND A WIRING DIAGRAM
Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
runester
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

OK. Did find a diagram that showed the motor perpendicular to the drive axle, however the lugs and the wiring on the motor are different. The diagram shows 4 lugs in a straight row. See pic. Mine are staggered. Found link to late 70's cart on this site but can't post links being a new member.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-02-06 11.57.58.jpg (216.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I believe they used motors with three different stud layouts, but the all work the same and the high current circuit is pretty much the same on the resistor carts, however they did change the control circuit wiring around a bit.

Does your F/R switch assembly have one, or two microswitches on it?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
runester
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I believe they used motors with three different stud layouts, but the all work the same and the high current circuit is pretty much the same on the resistor carts, however they did change the control circuit wiring around a bit.

Does your F/R switch assembly have one, or two microswitches on it?
Thanks for the reply. Mine has 2. I just spoke to ezgo and my cart is definetly 1980. What they sent me for a diagram is not wired anything like mine.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
tdump
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

How did you get ez-go to reply to a email? I sent 1 about my 400 and have heard nothing back from them.
tdump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by runester View Post
Thanks for the reply. Mine has 2. I just spoke to ezgo and my cart is definetly 1980. What they sent me for a diagram is not wired anything like mine.
What did they send you?
One of these three?

I believe there is at least one other diagram out there, but I haven't found it yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor ezgo1rt4.jpg (57.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Resistor cart - Schematic.JPG (87.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Resistor cart - Wiring Diagram.JPG (89.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
runester
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdump View Post
How did you get ez-go to reply to a email? I sent 1 about my 400 and have heard nothing back from them.
I called them. You can ask for tech support however before I got to tech the person was able to find And email 2 wiring diagrams he had for that year.
877-394-6727
Old 02-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #9
runester
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
What did they send you?
One of these three?

I believe there is at least one other diagram out there, but I haven't found it yet.
They sent me the first two. The 3rd one is the closest to mine but still has discrepancies. Like the A-1 goes to 3 o'clock on the F/R. F-1 goes to 12 o'clock on the F/R, F-2 is a battery lead and A-2 HAS TWO LEADS ONE GOING TO THE 9 O'CLOCK ON THE F/R AND ONE TO A BATTERY. My charger connects to the front inside batteries. The F-1 and F-2 lugs on motor are different locations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-02-06 11.57.58.jpg (100.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

EZGO used several different motors in resistor carts over the years and the motor in a 30+ year old cart might have been replaced with motor with yet a different physical layout of the stud terminals. The two terminals that go through the end cap are the Armature connections and the two that go through the case are the Stator (aka Field) connections. Other than that, the physical location of the stud terminals has about the same significance as the color the motor is painted.

Also, in 30+ years, a former owner may have replace some or all the high current cable and might not have connected the new cables the same way as the old cables were connected. There is more than one way to connect the cables that works.

The second and third picture I posted are the same circuit electrically. The second picture is a schematic and the third is a wiring diagram.

If F2 is connect to a battery terminal and A2 is connected to another battery terminal as well as a terminal on the F/R switch, I'm having trouble visualizing how the F/R switch reverses the direction the motor spins since the direction of current flow through either the Armature or the Stator (but not both) has to be reversed to change the direction the motor spins.

Attached are three schematic with current paths traced.
1. High current (Motor Drive) F/R switch in Forward.
2. High current (Motor Drive) F/R switch in Reverse.
3. Solenoid activation circuit in either direction.

----------
Hope this helps.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO