lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2014, 11:58 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: HELP !! Installed digital meter - PDS won't run

Here is the diagram for the meter install on this cart.
I would be very careful using a screwdriver to test bridge any terminals in this cart, one wrong move could cost you a speed controller. The solenoid activation diagram is also attached. Sort this cart out with a meter. It is very vulnerable to short circuits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Digital-Meter-Ezgo.jpg (107.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS F&R DIAGRAM.jpg (101.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ezgo PDS solenoid activation diagram.jpg (142.4 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #12
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulss View Post
It has 5 terminals on the back. I have the RXT {?} front end on it with the lights on as the third position. I pulled each one loose individually and put them back on but it still had power and kept acting the same.
If you have a PDS TXT with lights the ignition switch should have 4 terminals. Two for the 12v lights and two for the 36v cart. There is no commonality between the two sets. You can connect the two 12v together and the 36 volt together by passing the switch to test it. Be sure the correct wires are being connected.

The F-N-R switch has three terminals. You can jump the middle wire to the top wire for forward and the middle to the bottom switch for reverse to test that switch.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #13
paulss
Getting Wild

Rick,

You're correct, it has 4 wires.

I went out this morning and hooked up the power to it again. Nothing happened with the key on or off and regardless of the F/R switch including neutral. After I jumped the 12v wires it operated exactly as yesterday afternoon. Forward in forward and neutral, reverse in reverse and it didn't matter if the key was on or not. I removed all the wires from the ignition switch and it still operates the same. I unhooked the power and, after 5 minutes, hooked it up again. It still operates independent of the ignition switch and no wires and cables are even warm but I do see small sparks as I remove the cable from the terminal. I unhooked the power.

OK guys, what do I need to do to figure this out? I'm not the handiest w/a DVM but can follow instructions.

Thanks again,

Paul
paulss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #14
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You need a new switch. Jumping the wires is the same thing as turning the switch on. This is why it runs with the switch off........you have bypassed the switch. It is the same principle as hot wiring a car!
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #15
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Rick,
After I jumped the 12v wires it operated exactly as yesterday afternoon. Forward in forward and neutral, reverse in reverse and it didn't matter if the key was on or not. I removed all the wires from the ignition switch and it still operates the same. I unhooked the power and, after 5 minutes, hooked it up again.
Are you saying that the cart still operates with 36v wires disconnected from the ignition switch and not jumped together? Having the 12v wires jumped should have no bearing on the cart motor operation.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
paulss
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Are you saying that the cart still operates with 36v wires disconnected from the ignition switch and not jumped together? Having the 12v wires jumped should have no bearing on the cart motor operation.
Exactly. It did nothing until I jumped the 2 wires in the ignition switch. Then it operated like it did yesterday after I jumped the same wires. It continued operating the same after I unhooked all four wires from the ignition switch. I unhooked the Positive cable on the battery and, after I repowered it 5 minutes later, it still did the same thing.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

okay -

Cart runs without key wires connected. This means the solenoid is constantly activated or welded.

Do you hear the solenoid engage/disengage when you are powering up and down?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #18
paulss
Getting Wild

I hear it engage/disengage when I touch and let off the accelerator. Forward (in forward or neutral on the f/r switch) or reverse on the f/r switch.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It does this with or without the key switch wires connected?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #20
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Exactly. It did nothing until I jumped the 2 wires in the ignition switch. Then it operated like it did yesterday after I jumped the same wires. It continued operating the same after I unhooked all four wires from the ignition switch. I unhooked the Positive cable on the battery and, after I repowered it 5 minutes later, it still did the same thing.
You still didn't answer the voltage question. If you have 4 wires connected to your ignition switch you have two 12v wires and two 36 volt wires. 12v does the lights and 36v does the motor. All you said is that you jumped the 12v wires. You said nothing about jumping the 36v wires. If jumping the 36v wires makes the cart move it is probably the switch. If the two 36v wires are disconnected and jumping the 12v wires makes the cart move you have something else going on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO