lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
culli292
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Alltrax XCT48400PDS vs XCT48500PDS

I asked this in another thread but thought it was worthy of its own discussion. Am I losing out on any significant performance by using a XCT48400PDS with my setup, see my signature for my mods. I was thinking of selling the XCT48400 and buying the 500 amp model. My 400 already has the fan if that matters as it may "unlock" maximum output. Has anyone done such a ridiculous thing this soon after buying the XCT 400? I have not ran my cart on 48 volts but should have it together tomorrow to see the difference going from 42 volts. I'm only thinking of going from the 400 to the 500 in order to pull maximum performance potential from my setup.
culli292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
DCrevenge
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax XCT48400PDS vs XCT48500PDS

how was the performance going from the stock to the xct 400?
DCrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
culli292
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrevenge View Post
how was the performance going from the stock to the xct 400?
I never had the stock controller in this one. It came with a Master Drive 350 amp controller but I went from that controller to the XCT 400 and the difference was amazing. When I did this I also went to 42 volts and 2 gauge wiring so those items obviously helped a bit
Old 10-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

I had two of the same carts one time, both with AMD 7126 speed motors. One had an Alltrax4844 and the other had an Alltrax 4865. Other than the controller difference, the carts were identical. There was zero difference in performance. Now, I'm sure if you want to run 40mph you could start to see a need for these huge controllers, but the average guy isn't going to find himself needing a million amps. In my opinion, the happiest person in you making that change would be the salesman. Remember, the cart isn't pulling 500 amps.....thats the peak rating. I don't think you'll find a noticable difference, but if you wanna split hairs over .5mph then perhaps it's worth it.
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
culli292
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartattach View Post
I had two of the same carts one time, both with AMD 7126 speed motors. One had an Alltrax4844 and the other had an Alltrax 4865. Other than the controller difference, the carts were identical. There was zero difference in performance. Now, I'm sure if you want to run 40mph you could start to see a need for these huge controllers, but the average guy isn't going to find himself needing a million amps. In my opinion, the happiest person in you making that change would be the salesman. Remember, the cart isn't pulling 500 amps.....thats the peak rating. I don't think you'll find a noticable difference, but if you wanna split hairs over .5mph then perhaps it's worth it.
40mph sounds a bit more than I'm looking for. I'm looking for 30mph-ish and the ability to pull a decent load of people up the street I'm just charging my new Trojan Rangers with my newly setup DPI 48 volt charger so I will test run it in the morning. Right now the batteries are sucking down their first charge in the garage
Old 10-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #6
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

The increase to 48V will supply you a bit of an increase. Having had carts in the past that would do over 30mph I can tell you that the geometry of a golf cart suspension was designed around the cart never going over 20 (actually less than 20) and when you get to the 30 and up range you get a very unstable and somewhat scary ride. A slight touch of the wheel can be enough to cross 2 lanes of road at that point. I would suggest working on some suspension and adding brake capacity prior to topping 30mph, just from a safety point of view. One of my customers I was talking to today experienced a controller failure at about 10 that put a passenger into the dash of the cart.....I wouldn't want to imagine the passenger going forward at 30 with that same lockdown failure. I don't recall the specifics, but JohnnieB had a great post talking about the initial amp draw on a controller and how much it would draw during operation. My cart ran over 30 using a 4844 Alltrax at 36V
Old 10-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #7
culli292
Getting Wild
Club Car

I hear you. The suspension is nice and tight with the mid rise lift and coil over front shocks. Stance is nice and wide too. I've been at 28mph for awhile with the prior setup but our hilly terrain takes me back into the teens. I think this setup will be impressive.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #8
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

If the stance is wider and you've added coilovers to firm it up a bit then you are definitely headed in the right direction. And don't let my previous post make you think going over 30 is bad, it just requires a little more attention to detail than many people put forth. But it sounds like you've been making all the needed changes and well on your way to a tire roasting high speed monster. But, I'd still say the difference in the controller would be negligible to you upping to the next level. You could ask JohnieB what the normal amp draw during use and the peak amp draw at initial acceleration would be and then get an idea to what you would "gain" if anything by upgrading.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #9
culli292
Getting Wild
Club Car

[QUOTE=cartattach;1206051]If the stance is wider and you've added coilovers to firm it up a bit then you are definitely headed in the right direction. And don't let my previous post make you think going over 30 is bad, it just requires a little more attention to detail than many people put forth. But it sounds like you've been making all the needed changes and well on your way to a tire roasting high speed monster. But, I'd still say the difference in the controller would be negligible to you upping to the next level. You could ask JohnieB what the normal amp draw during use and the peak amp draw at initial acceleration would be and then get an idea to what you would "gain" if anything by upgrading.[/QUOTE

I have come back from the test on 48 volts and it is definitely "good". I don't think any more speed or torque is required (for now). I am going to leave the power plant alone and maybe do some rear disc brakes and looking to buy Trojan's Hydrolink setup if I can locate one for a good deal.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:10 AM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

#1 thing i dont like about "hydrolink" is its "eye" only reads from one cell per battery to show if its low on water. I suggest plugging the water jug about once a week when used often. When the "fill systems" are working correctly, they keep the cells full (almost too full). Keeping the cells filled closer to the top does not add any more range/life to a battery than a cell filled "just above the plates" does, just adds to the cleanup required.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO