lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Terrible Handling, not safe....

I have a concern with my Cart, and am wondering if its just the nature of the beast, or if there are some things I can investigate to help out.

I have a 99' TXT cart that tops out at around 25mph fully loaded with the family. Its aslo has the 6" Jakes Spindle Lift, and these tires:

http://www.golfcartking.com/12-Trans...9-028-lift.htm

When I am at the higher speeds, the handling is real sensitive/jerky. The road kind of "throws" the cart around, if that makes any sense. Anyways, I don't like it, and it seems to be a little worse lately. Is this typical of the spinle lifts, or are there some other things I should be looking at, like alignment of something?

I'd appreciate anyone with the similar setup to chime in on how their cart handles, or any advice on who to help it (short of going to the A-arms suspension)
kobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Terrible Handling, not safe....

Are your front tires toed in just a hair? Just a guess, but something you can check with a tape measure. If their toed out or toed in too much, then it causes steering problems.

AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the feedback. I played with the alignment a while ago, and I want to say I toed them out a little bit. I will doulble check the exact measurements and report back, but probably won't be till tonight/tomorrow.
kobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

When the toe is in, the tires would be angled with the fronts more towards center. When the toe is out, the front would be angled more outside away from the cart. The toe is adjustable to create a better alignment, unfortunately the camber angle is not adjustable on those lift kits. Also, check your steering rack for excessive play. The older racks wear out and will cause a great deal of play that can cause symptoms just like what you mention. Also, that's a bit weight on that cart with 4 people lifted with big tires. You might want to check the alignment with people sitting in it and without as the load weight could cause it to strain a bit.
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #5
suboldguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

And check your tire pressures, with the added weight, low pressure in a tall side walled tire will give you the side to side feeling your talking about.
suboldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I thought you wanted a little toe-in, just like on a car.

I had bad handling on my old cart and I was amazed at how much it helped to merely grease the fittings. But... my old cart was an 85 so it had more years on it than yours. Either way, grease is cheap and the easiest fix you'll find if that's your problem.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #7
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
I thought you wanted a little toe-in, just like on a car.
Yea, I believe that's true.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky View Post
Yea, I believe that's true.
Actually no. If anything, a little toe out is better. With a little toe in the front rides "pigeon toed" and is more prone to roll over in a high speed turn. This is why you see baja style trucks with all the flex and the toe out.
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #9
paintdude96
Been Wild Since Day 1

E-Z-GO

sounds like to me there is too much weight in the back . you might want to get some stronger springs / shocks for the back . or even some shocks for the front . I know when mine was doing this when I had 4 grown a$$ people on mine the back would drop down and pull the front up and then at high speed it was go all over the road so I stiffin the back up with H/D springs in the back and went to auto zone and got new shocks for the front (Gabriel PT# 81270) handles about better now .
paintdude96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #10
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartattach View Post
Actually no. If anything, a little toe out is better. With a little toe in the front rides "pigeon toed" and is more prone to roll over in a high speed turn. This is why you see baja style trucks with all the flex and the toe out.
Actually, a slight toe in condition has been the recommendation on golf carts for all the years I've been following them. Toe out makes them wander and follow depressions in the roadway.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO