lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
CruiserCars
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO RXV Automatic Brake Not Holding

Working on a 48V EZGO RXV, date code 01/08.

I have read through many threads about the RXV being riddled with problems. I have been working on a cart that will not drive and will not hold the parking brake. I thought two separate issues at first.

I could flip through reverse on the key switch quickly to forward and get it to go, but reverse did not function. Thinking key switch, I popped the dash to find that whoever installed the voltage reducer for the lights wired in to the key switch improperly for turning the reducer on/off. There was a ground running to the green wire which produces full voltage when forward is selected. And the yellow wire for the solenoid activation on the key switch was jumped to the reducer. I removed this wiring to the voltage reducer. Now I have forward and reverse again.

There appears to be an intermittent issue with the accelerator micro-switch creating "High Pedal Disable" when the controller runs its tests. Maybe 1 fail every three or four times I turn the key switch to reverse or forward. I will then have to turn the key off, press the accelerator to reactivate the micro-switch, then turn the key to forward or reverse and off we go. Mind you, I have the pedal box open, and nothing is stopping the pedal from coming all the way back. Also, does anyone know if the "High Pedal Disable" is controlled by the micro-switch in the pedal box or by the throttle sensor on the pedal?

So I am driving around, no problems with the brake pedal triggering the brakes. Acceleration is good. So I decided to find a decent hill to test the parking brake. It will not hold completely. It will shutter like it is trying to stop, then allow the cart to slowly roll, then shutter trying to stop again, then slowly roll. While this is happening the brake pedal becomes non-functional. You are at the mercy of the poorly operating auto-brake.

It is my understanding that the brake should auto-lock when no power is provided to it. So while the auto-brake is trying to stop me on this hill, I turn the key to off expecting full on stop, I get the opposite. I get no brakes what-so-ever. No pedal and no auto parking brake trying to do anything. I proceed to roll to a safe stop.

I intend on detaching the plug for the motor brake and seeing if it will hold then. Perhaps power is finding it's way through the wire harness to the motor brake? I will keep you posted on the results, but appreciate any advice in the mean time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Key Switch Wiring.jpg (83.0 KB, 0 views)
CruiserCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: EZGO RXV Automatic Brake Not Holding

If the brake is not holding well, replace it first (it endures/must pass a "twist test" every time the key is turned on, or cart wont run). That should greatly reduce or eliminate your issues.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Default Re: EZGO RXV Automatic Brake Not Holding

Ditto CG.
Removing add on to key switch was good idea.

Voltage reducer can safely be wired to POWER lug of Solenoid.(if unsure- post and instructions will be posted)

Parking/Emergency brake has failed which will cause most of the problems listed.

High pedal fail could be bad sending unit or rusty/corroded assy.

Replace brake-- read CG's post with instructions on how --- don't overtighten bolts.

Good luck
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rxv auto-brake problems
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO