lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
tyrgy1
Not Yet Wild

Default Hf 13 in a g9. Any tips?

Hey all, first post. Rather than rebuilding the engine in my g9 I decided to grab the HF 13 horse. Scooped it up on sale with the 2 year warrenty for $259. Any tips or roadblocks I should look out for? Cart is lifted 6 inches. Did anyone have room to use the fuel tank thats on the engine? How about the air filter? I have it sitting in the engine bay right now, and it looks like the air filter will be interesting. I‘m hoping to use the yamaha clutch. Are you all happy with this engine? Not looking to break any speed records, just putting around the campgroung with some off roading.
tyrgy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Hf 13 in a g9. Any tips?

Check out my thread on a G9 16hp, which is the same engine but a stroker version.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-thread-3.html

The issues are clearance of aircleaner to the rear shock, if you use the stock generator because the clones hardly charge anything (3A) some none at all, if you use stock clutch they are hard to shift running some can many can't. That is an issue if you start with key instead of cart generator/pedal start. I used the gen and pedal start, car airbox, car muffler, doing another one soon as weather breaks here. TheNewGuy did one too check out other threads here in clone forum. I used a carolstream clone the airbox is cheezy foam thing, it would not last long in there our carts get very dirty in there, I put 2" pvc to front of cart for air intake. I doubt you can use the muffler, or not where it comes. I wanted extra power from free flowing intake and exhaust I had to jet it a lot richer to run. Its not that hard to put a pulse on and use the cart fuel tank, I used the G9 pump had to put a return fuel line it overflowed the carb, but could be because of intake pulse. Next one I am trying to pulse off the head instead.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
tyrgy1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response. Just ordered the clutch adapter from cpp. Did you have to cut the crank?
Old 04-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I cut it far as I could, because the carb and recoil don't clear hardly. I used only the adapter not the spacer. I cut so the 1" part of the crank is 1 1/8" long. That is the easy part you have to drill the hole deeper and tap it, its not really that hard just a pain to hold the engine and drill it. We used the stock yamaha bolt. This clone has a shoulder at the case so the crank sticks out 1/2" or something before it necks down to 1". After cutting it the clutch is still further from the engine than stock engine was, it fit tight to the block.

Some take the recoil off, but remember this engine does not need power to start. Anyway the airbox hit the shock so it had to go over as much as possible. We ended up making a flat cover for the aircleaner thing, and putting a pipe in the side of it to the new airbox. Going to do away with that soon I'm trying to come up with a manifold that turns the carb towards the rear and want to put a flat slide carb on it.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
tyrgy1
Not Yet Wild

I consider myself very mechanically inclined, but I gotta tell you I don't feel good about drilling and tapping the crank. If I bought an aftermarket comet clutch would it slide all the way down the shaft without cutting? Really didn't want to go that route for cost reasons.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I don't know, the guy from CPP said he never cut one off that far though I think a 1" clutch will still work on it but not sure. Others here have cut them that far. I don't know how far 1" slides on. The problem is you have to get the engine way over to the belt side in a G2/9 unless you take the recoil off (or gas tank out) and figure out some way to deal with the carb or move the shock/etc. It is not a big deal to cut the crank off, just a pain to hold the engine and drill that big hole by hand. We had a drill press there but would have taken a while to get the table down that low and something to set it on, etc. We had a huge drill and used that. If you used a small pilot drill you could use a 1/2" drill to do it I think....we used the size that fit the thread and enlarged it to tap size there was not enough difference in size so it was grabbing. But that drill has a big pipe on it...so it was trigger down lol.

In fact its not perfect in the center but does not matter because the depth of the clutch, but the next one I think I will cut it first and mark the crank, just drill and tap a new hole instead of drilling it so deep on the old hole. It would be easier to drill that way.

Other people have taken the stock fuel tank out of the cart or moved the engine forward and not used the generator, used a longer belt, etc. I was not going to do that it was going in to replace the stock engine with all the stock stuff in there and including the recoil. You get a box or pile of 2x8 on the floor and mock the engine up in there, you will see what I mean. It will only fit if you get the clutch close to the block. If you are not going to use the generator/etc you might do it a different way. One guy on here rotated the trans and has the clone nearly sitting on top of the trans.

I can tell you a replacement clutch must still fit this (with a taper) because the original engine has the clutch closer to the block than this.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
boostedtoys
Not Yet Wild

Tyrgy

I'm finishing up a very similar build. I managed to get an HF 13 in my G9. I used a comet clutch, stock yamaha gas tank, HF electic start and recoil start. I made a new cradle that bolts on to the stock engine mounts. What helped is that my cart has a 6" lift, the swingarm is dropped and moved rearward.

I did toss out the stock muffler and air box. Instead I used a car muffler. For intake I made an elbow out of pvc that the HF air filter bolts on to (It sounds more ghetto than it is).

Like Sho, I had to use a return on my fuel line. The main jet and pilot jet are drilled out. Still having issues with hard starting but I'm pretty sure it's a jetting issue. Would love to hear if others have issues starting their HF clones too.

Hope this helps
boostedtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
tyrgy1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help guys. How do you like the engine boostedtoys? My plan is to fab the original yammi muffler to the engine. Haven't thought about the intake because I'm waiting on the clutch to see where it sits.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
boostedtoys
Not Yet Wild

Can't really say yet. Only drove it twice and my secondary clutch was fubar'd so it wasn't shifting right. Even with a bad secondary it still had a bunch more torque than the stock. I will say the cam on the engine I got had too much end play. Clacked like a diesel at idle. I ended up shimming it to quiet it down.

Let you know more in a few days.
boostedtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I set it to a real slow idle and leaned it out but so it idled good yet. Then I turned the screw out maybe quarter to half turn to get it on the rich side. It starts as fast as the stock engine did, when warm, it will not run over half throttle when cold with out choke. The idle mix needs to be right for fast starts, little rich to start fast when its not all the way warm. It will start pretty quick on a summer day when cold if you don't step on it when starting. Cold weather it needs choke for sure.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps