lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
tvj503
Getting Wild

Default Gas or electric

Hey folks. Boy, there are lots of smart folks out there...and I greatly appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us. I am thinking about buying my first cart and have decided to go with the Precedent, But I'm really struggling with gas versus electric. What are the pros and cons between the two? I will not go off road, mainly cruising around the neighborhood on "flat" streets. What about fumes amd maintenance with the gas? Thanks for all of the responses!
tvj503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Gas or electric

My look at it was like any motor regular service (oil change, spark plug, belts ) goes a long way, and a motor will outlast manny sets of the replacement batties you'll go through on an electric cart at what like 600 to 1200 to replace every few years, were a gas biggest would be a clutch at 350.oo but around 120 if you rebuild your self, now motor is another issue then like 2000 for replacement. But I don't have to fool with charging my cart ever few days either.
on_the_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Moonbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I chose electric just to avoid the routine maintenance called out in the previous post (belts, oil change, spark plugs). We use our cart in the country, to fill it up I just plug it in, no gas can or trip to town. True it will have to have $800 in batteries at some point but it doesn't need $3.50/gal gas now. I think it really comes down to your preference.
Moonbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think if you add up the gas $ and oil changes, filters, belts etc, and prorate the $3500 motor.... it would buy batteries, depends on how much you use your cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yeah but it might be easier to put 10 bucks of gas in the cart once a month and a 20 dollar tune up kit a year or 25 bucks for a belt, verses shelling out the 600 to 1200 all at once for batteries, and I can park anywhere and not be looking for a plug or dragging an extention cord all over. Electrics do have an up side they are REALY quiet so when the kids sneak out or someone steels it you'll never here them pull away, propably won't even wake the dog lol, sorry electro guys I guess they got a place I just don't like them. I do know there are camp ground that will only allow electric cart not gas so there is an up or them
on_the_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

this all depends on how the cart is going to be used.......if there are kids and they will be jumping on and off all day or if the cart is going to be used a lot gas is the way to go...............if its just for working around the property or going after the mail or a trip here or there to the store.....than elec................if a campground?? its a toss up i think he needs to sit and figure just how much the cart will be used...........i have both gas and elec. and right now i use the elec,s 10 times more than the gas but that could change any time.......the one thing for me is if there are going to be kids on it.........GO GAS.............................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
tvj503
Getting Wild

Thanks guys for your help. I've gotten a ton of help from all of you and I really appreciate it. This is what I've decided to go with: a 2008 Precedent, electric (prefer 6, 8v but will accept 4 12's and maybe change out to the 8 v's later), not lifted and a flip rear seat. I'll need turn signals, seat belts, head and tail lights. Really a plain Jane but it's all I need. I'm guessing around $3000...am I close?
tvj503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

give or take a few hundred depending you should be in the ballpark......if you don,t jump on the 1st thing you might get lucky and find a lowballer................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car