lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: hard starting G1

I would take a look at the solenoid contacts if it starts easy in reverse and not forward.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
bodzcampers
Getting Wild

I am so discouraged. I just rebuilt the engine last winter and did it again this winter. Anyone want to buy a minted out, hard starting g1? Tired of it. I just got my finger prints back from having sanded and buffed every last bit of the thing.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Don't give up so fast... You can swap the forward/reverse solenoids with each other and that will tell you if it is the problem. Once you get it running good, you'll be glad you spent the time.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
bodzcampers
Getting Wild

Thanks. I'll keep plugging away...no choice right now. I took the generator off. The brushes won't stay locked in place, wires exposed, and the inner element seems to be wearing against the side walls. It's looking to me like this is it. But i'm worried because an earlier poster seemed to know what he was talking about thought it was timing and not the generator. timing is ok , I marked the spot where it goes. theres not much play in these to messs up timing.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

You could advance the stator plate to its extreme position on a G1 215cc motor and it wouldn't cause it to do this. You have proven that by just putting the plug in and not firing it. If you aren't firing the plug, it doesn't matter where the timing is set.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #16
bodzcampers
Getting Wild

I do have spark, the stater is in the right spot. I did mark it so it would be in the right spot
Old 03-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
bodzcampers
Getting Wild

it makes sense to the solenoids. Hurray for me. I was inspecting the generator more (which looks wore and tore), and broke some pieces off. So, I have to get the new generator now before I can test the solenoids. It's a vicious cycle.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #18
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Pull the plug wire off so it doesn't fire and see if it turns faster. It will likely have little to no affect. The problem is likely the starter(now that you disclosed the issues with it) or the forward solenoid contacts, or a connection. I would say it is the solenoid contacts. I have a little bit of experience with this motor. I modified a stock 215cc G1 motor so it would go over 40mph.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
bodzcampers
Getting Wild

Awesome! Thanks. I really do appreciate the help.
Mike
Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #20
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Just hang in there until you get it fixed. You have one of the fastest and most rugged stock golf carts ever built.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha