lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Home Made A-arm?

I'm in the process of getting started on building my cart. I have the new tire/wheel combo and have shocks coming.

My question:
On a G1 Has anyone built a true A-arm using the single stock front arm by welding in a peice of larger pipe instead of using the smaller rod that bolts in?

The ones on the G1 that I got are both bent somewhat and I thought it would be a lot stronger if the front end was a true A-arm set up.

I figure Pachanga90 can jump in on this one, he is after all the fabricator and I'm sure has probably thought about this already, since he is working on a G1 lift.

While I'm not a true fabricator, I've come up with some good solves for other things I work on. I have been setting up my garage for quite some time now and have it set up pretty good. I have a 9x20 metal lathe, a 16 1/2 x 32 metal lathe, a bench top Mill with DRO, garage full of tools, both air and hand, Hobart wire feed 185 welder, cutting torch, grinders and other things.

So while I'm just learning, I have the tools to do most anything I want. But, looking at others ideas helps a lot. So I may be full of questions for quite some time.
Also, if anyone might be in my area and looking to work on a cart and wants help, or just wants to hang out and work on thier and my cart, just give me a holler. I live in East central Missouri below Rolla.

Sorry this post went so many directions, but I get that way sometimes. LOL Even in my sleep when I'm trying to solve some problem I'm working on.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: Home Made A-arm?

I've never seen it done, but the G1 is one of the most over-engineered carts you will ever find. I don't see any reason to modify the A-arms.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Marathon, I just see the small links on the front of the G1 are bent and not sure how much those actually affect the suspension.

The front suspension on this cart looks to have been beat a bit and the toe in/out is screwed up a bit and I'm thinking these two bent arms may be the reason. I guess they are a link, but that is where the part of a solid A-arm would be and is why I thought a piece could be welded in it's place using something bigger and a bit beefier.

Maybe I'm over thinking it.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

You can replace them with a solid welded piece, but I don't think it's necessary. The toe is adjustable. For what it would take to modify them, you could easier buy the new parts and just bolt them on. They are probably bent because someone ran into something, not because of an overstressed suspension. The G1 is a tank. You will likely never exceed its design limits unless you are intentionally running it into stationary objects.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks, I guess I'll know more about it when I start the tear down to build my lift kit.
I'll probably just straighten the bolt in arms back to where they should be. I actually think only the passenger side is bent as the drivers side looks ok. So I'll hopefully know where the bent one needs work.

I did notice the oversized size of the tube going to the spindle on this cart, so your probably right. Best to leave well enough alone, since all I'm doing at this point is building and installing a lift kit right now.

I'll get this one done for the wife and then start looking for something for myself to modify.

Now I just need to sell her 4 wheeler so that I can buy more stuff for her cart.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

Smokindawg, you are displaying the first symptoms of the G1 Disease! Im afraid it only gets worse as your ideas grow and your check book dwindles Good luck and post pics.
abieex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well said abieex. It's all down hill from here!
gray horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Been there. That's how I've ended up with the garage setup I have. When I need to make something and don't have a way to, I go out and get what I need to do the job.

I'm looking forward to getting started. I'm going to make a lift using ideas from reading here. I'm not looking to build a show cart, just something functional and decent looking.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by abieex View Post
Smokindawg, you are displaying the first symptoms of the G1 Disease! Im afraid it only gets worse as your ideas grow and your check book dwindles Good luck and post pics.
LOL
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha