lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default G16 Clutch Swap and "Hot Setup" questions (technical)

Thanks in advance for any help or advice You can give - my Plowmans "Hot Setup" is due to arrive today along with the Primary Clutch, etc and I have never played w a Yamaha before so I have a coupe of questions hopefully I can have someone clear up prior to me tearing into it this afternoon ...

First, the driven clutch - I have the "sticky" instructions all printed out and it seems pretty straightforward, however I have a question regarding the spring and compressing it. I get that I need to use a strap to compress it prior to reassembly, however wouldn't I need to hold it back with a strap or ? prior to DISassembly to keep things from blowing apart?

The second issue is the shroud between the engine and muffler - am I missing something here or do I just trash the rivets holding it together and replace them with either new rivets or screws when reassembling?

Thanks again in advance, should be an interesting afternoon and evening, can't wait to run her in the AM, supposed to be 45+ degrees here and no rain til late afternoon, hopefully get a good shakedown run in !!!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Clutch Swap and "Hot Setup" questions (technical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Thanks in advance for any help or advice You can give - my Plowmans "Hot Setup" is due to arrive today along with the Primary Clutch, etc and I have never played w a Yamaha before so I have a coupe of questions hopefully I can have someone clear up prior to me tearing into it this afternoon ...

First, the driven clutch - I have the "sticky" instructions all printed out and it seems pretty straightforward, however I have a question regarding the spring and compressing it. I get that I need to use a strap to compress it prior to reassembly, however wouldn't I need to hold it back with a strap or ? prior to DISassembly to keep things from blowing apart?Not a bad idea, even if it were some heavy duty zip ties. It's not really going to blow apart though.

The second issue is the shroud between the engine and muffler - am I missing something here or do I just trash the rivets holding it together and replace them with either new rivets or screws when reassembling?You should be able to remove the plastic rivets carefully and reuse them.

Thanks again in advance, should be an interesting afternoon and evening, can't wait to run her in the AM, supposed to be 45+ degrees here and no rain til late afternoon, hopefully get a good shakedown run in !!!
Hope this helps, keep us posted!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The big 'ol box from Don just arrived - Jesus it's like Christmas around here, hahahahaha. Thanks for the tips, I had a pretty scary experience with a driven clutch from my old Marathon once so I figured I'd ask before I started sacrificing fingers to the Cart Gods !!!

Time to go lay out the tools and ... oh WAIT, what's this? UPS in the driveway, it's my Flares, WOOOOO HOOOOO !!!!

Yep - Today is looking up and up :)
Old 03-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Change your shorts and go to work. a bar clamp will work to help dis assembly.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Got so excited I took all the parts up to the Garage, laid out the tools, etc and realized that all the beer was back here at the house :)

Good call, Doom - thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

OKAY - 4hrs in and the progress is going well, the flares look, well, like flares (the back tires still hang out an inch and the fronts 1/2" but that's OK as long as the WORST of the spray stays away) ... Took awhile to get things working *just* right with the throttle cable relocation to the carb but after several tweakings fore and aft I have it working as it should (do people generally pull the cable from the governor to carb after the bypass? I couldn't see a total need to do it so it's zip-tied safely out of the way, if that's going to cause me heartache down the road someone feel free to chime in) ... The fuel system has been purged, new filter, etc - looks like the "In" side of things is done.

Detoured the project a bit to tear apart the dash and install 2 terminal blocks and a ground block (one switched, one full hot) to make life easier w the Radio, Lights, etc - Also got the Equus 8086 tach all wired in, mounted, etc so providing it actually WORKS once I fire things up I'll be a happy camper... Life so far is good but DANG it's cold once that sun goes down, even in the garage :)

Exhaust is done with the exception of mounting the new one (figure it's just that much more romm to work on the clutches this way) - Now it's a fast break (and a warmup in the house) and once I have another set of hands in the mix, the clutches are the project for tonight (should be fun with no impact in the garage and 2ft of snow in front of the shop, let alone no way to drive the cart up there, grrrr ...)

Bar clamp(s) ready to go - a quick Sammie and a Beer and it's back to it :)
Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

All done ... 155lbs of me and 270lbs of my buddy, 19 degrees and almost NO warmup time, 29mph at 3800-ish RPM .... NOT BAD for the inaugural run. I'm not fully sold on the "Black" Torque Spring (might have to sacrifice a bit to gain some more MPH) but WOW this thing was pulling us up hills and ACCELERATING (hills that even without snow are a B*TCH for my Marathon) - pretty dang cool, if I do say so :)

Thanks for the help, now it's all a matter of tweaking and then onto the cosmetics, etc - NEVER thought I'd own a non-EZGO but I'm starting to be pretty cool with it :)
Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The G16 is a nice cart,You just gotta get used to that "Tipsy-Feeling" Off-Roading.The single-point mount on the swing-arm makes em' ride nice,but they take some getting used to once you lift them.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha