lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #1
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Alignment Idiot Award - I Deserve It

Hate to admit I did this but I can't be the only one.

Tires were out of alignment so I decided it was time to replace old front-end parts.

Sanded, applied rust converted where needed and painted. Found no damaged/bent parts. Replaced all the bushings and stems. New king pins, wave washers, tie rod ends. Had another senior moment and only ordered 2 steering stem bushings so replaced the ones on the right only. Will order two more for left. Replaced hub bearings with new Timken bearings. They are sooo smooth. New leaf spring adjustment eccentric. Torqued everything to specs. I was proud of my work!

Put the tires on, finger tighten lug nuts, lowered cart to the floor.

Loosened the 4 bolts that hold the leaf spring and loosened the adjustment eccentric. Used large square and calipers to check and correct the camber. It was perfect! No more right tire leaning out. Then measured and began to set toe in. Left tire still not toeing correctly. My frustration grew and I put down my tools and called it a night.

As I was walking away, it hit me! I failed to tighten the tire lugs after I took the cart off the jack stands. I can do really dumb things. Now, I get to start all over with the alignment, right?? When I tighten the lug nuts won't it effect the camber that I set??
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Alignment Idiot Award - I Deserve It

well , in your defense , ............ i got nothin'........ i always just use the "beer" excuse ....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
well , in your defense , ............ i got nothin'........ i always just use the "beer" excuse ....
Didn't think about that one!! Best excuse ever!
Old 11-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
Hate to admit I did this but I can't be the only one.

Tires were out of alignment so I decided it was time to replace old front-end parts.

Sanded, applied rust converted where needed and painted. Found no damaged/bent parts. Replaced all the bushings and stems. New king pins, wave washers, tie rod ends. Had another senior moment and only ordered 2 steering stem bushings so replaced the ones on the right only. Will order two more for left. Replaced hub bearings with new Timken bearings. They are sooo smooth. New leaf spring adjustment eccentric. Torqued everything to specs. I was proud of my work!

Put the tires on, finger tighten lug nuts, lowered cart to the floor.

Loosened the 4 bolts that hold the leaf spring and loosened the adjustment eccentric. Used large square and calipers to check and correct the camber. It was perfect! No more right tire leaning out. Then measured and began to set toe in. Left tire still not toeing correctly. My frustration grew and I put down my tools and called it a night.

As I was walking away, it hit me! I failed to tighten the tire lugs after I took the cart off the jack stands. I can do really dumb things. Now, I get to start all over with the alignment, right?? When I tighten the lug nuts won't it effect the camber that I set??
Maybe not. If they were snug enough it may be OK.

As far as DA things done, I usually get the DA of the year award.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #5
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Maybe not. If they were snug enough it may be OK.

As far as DA things done, I usually get the DA of the year award.
I sure hope you're right! I did snug them down with a socket because I have so little strength in my hands due to old age.

Can't imagine you ever getting THAT award.

Thanks for the encouragement! I won't get to work on the cart again until Thursday night or Friday. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:18 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
I sure hope you're right! I did snug them down with a socket because I have so little strength in my hands due to old age.

Can't imagine you ever getting THAT award.

Thanks for the encouragement! I won't get to work on the cart again until Thursday night or Friday. I'll let you know how it goes.
Let us know!
Old 11-25-2020, 12:16 AM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
I did snug them down with a socket
If your wheel nuts were reasonably tight, then your camber measurement should be correct.

If the wheel nuts were sloppy and the wheel was not properly seated on the hub, your camber measurement may be out a bit.

What method are you using to measure the camber?

I ran across this video that uses a plumb bob to measure the camber ... it appears to be a pretty accurate method since a plumb bob always provides an accurate vertical reference line (as long the wind is not blowing in your work space). The calculation they show in the video is incorrect (as pointed out in one of the comments) ... you should use Sine in the formula instead of Tangent ... but at low inclinations it does not matter much.

See the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT1eK55ZhJo

No idiot award given for this minor indiscretion ... that's part of life.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:44 AM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
If your wheel nuts were reasonably tight, then your camber measurement should be correct.

If the wheel nuts were sloppy and the wheel was not properly seated on the hub, your camber measurement may be out a bit.

What method are you using to measure the camber?

I ran across this video that uses a plumb bob to measure the camber ... it appears to be a pretty accurate method since a plumb bob always provides an accurate vertical reference line (as long the wind is not blowing in your work space). The calculation they show in the video is incorrect (as pointed out in one of the comments) ... you should use Sine in the formula instead of Tangent ... but at low inclinations it does not matter much.

See the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT1eK55ZhJo

No idiot award given for this minor indiscretion ... that's part of life.
I agree. If reasonably snug I think the difference will be minimal or none.

As far as the award goes, this coveted recognition will not go to CCNorth. It is reserved for those with much greater capacity and frequency for messing things up.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:06 AM   #9
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I agree. If reasonably snug I think the difference will be minimal or none.

As far as the award goes, this coveted recognition will not go to CCNorth. It is reserved for those with much greater capacity and frequency for messing things up.
Reasonably snug is how I would describe them.

It's a reprieve! I'm so relieved!! I guess being a novice does have it's perks.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thinking back, I don't remember doing anything similar to that mechanically.

But to tell the truth, I really don't remember anything bad or embarrassing that happened before yesterday.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, camber, tires, toein
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car