lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2021, 10:22 PM   #11
mccainc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Leaf Gen 1 to Leaf e+ Upgrade Build Thread

OBC installed, wiring cleaned up. Now I’m waiting on the 2ga cables to arrive for battery install. Also have a Navitas controller on the way.

The packs are connected in series via a Nissan factory bus bar that was included in the buy. It’s a slick setup, I’ll post a pick when installed.

The project box came from Amazon, it’s called LeMotech ABS junction box. Sold in several different sizes. Sounds like a great system you’re building, are you doing it from scratch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6878D068-D999-4BA8-9EA8-E055E491AAF2.jpeg (536.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 12A66BF2-5CC5-443C-8B4A-5113385EC963.jpeg (495.0 KB, 0 views)
mccainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2021, 11:30 PM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I designed the system from scratch about 4 years ago. Spent about a year building and modifying it. Now I am duplicating it for a second cart. It's run by an AVR processor (arduino pro mini) The BMS portion is two boards each monitoring 7 cells. A third board contains the processor and communication stuff. There is a remote display for the speedometer / odometer, cell voltages, date, time, temperature, and SOC. There is a very loud alarm in the display that warns of any low cell voltages. The BMS monitors cell voltages during charging and will interrupt the charge current if any cell goes above 4.1Volts.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:28 AM   #13
mccainc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Finally got the new 2ga battery cables installed on Friday, and the Navitas controller today. Pics with and without decorative top on the batteries. I’m thinking about making a replacement for the plastic controller/solenoid cover out of the same black diamond plate, I think I have some left over. We’ll see what my motivation is like while I wait for some other cosmetic upgrades to arrive from All Sports. Overall I’m pretty excited with how it all turned out. These batteries are a great option for anyone considering a lithium upgrade and are willing to do a little of their own work. The pigtails make it easy to integrate with whatever BMS you choose. I spent a lot of extra time making it pretty and adapting my old BMS, but if you skipped the niceification and used something more standard like a Zeva or Chargery, it would be a simple install. I’m going to have to wait for warmer weather for a range test, but initial romps around the neighborhood are exciting. Right out of the box the battery/Navitas combination had the cart doing 36mph in my short neighborhood blocks, and I don’t even have the dealer app [yet] or on-the-fly programmer. It looks like the default current limit setting on the controller is ~240A. I’m excited to see how it performs when I start cranking it up.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #14
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Nice! Where did you get the piece you put on top of the batteries? Looks nice. Boards for my BMS should arrive today. I am still planning how I will mount the batteries. I will probably start work in a couple of weeks. Waiting for the average temps in my garage to get up a bit. I plan to remove the battery tray to clean things up from the mess the FLA batteries made before I got the cart. I will do my battery mounting with the tray out of the cart - then install it. I also have to pull the diff, disassemble it to do the brake discs.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:21 PM   #15
mccainc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I got it from Lowe’s, they have some 12”x24” pieces that come pre-coated black. Mounting batteries with the tray out of the cart will be much easier, just find a friend to help you get it back in! Do you have any plans or schematics for your home built BMS? I’m very curious.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:46 PM   #16
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Following. I’m probably going to start on my install this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:24 AM   #17
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I will re-install the tray and then install the battery modules. I will just prep everything with the tray removed. It would not be easy to install the tray with the batteries on it. I just want to drill the mounting holes and install plates where the old batteries went since the tray is open except for the battery rails.
I have a couple weeks of prep work before I tear the cart down. I'm building my BMS now.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:23 PM   #18
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccainc View Post
Finally got the new 2ga battery cables installed on Friday, and the Navitas controller today. Pics with and without decorative top on the batteries. I’m thinking about making a replacement for the plastic controller/solenoid cover out of the same black diamond plate, I think I have some left over. We’ll see what my motivation is like while I wait for some other cosmetic upgrades to arrive from All Sports. Overall I’m pretty excited with how it all turned out. These batteries are a great option for anyone considering a lithium upgrade and are willing to do a little of their own work. The pigtails make it easy to integrate with whatever BMS you choose. I spent a lot of extra time making it pretty and adapting my old BMS, but if you skipped the niceification and used something more standard like a Zeva or Chargery, it would be a simple install. I’m going to have to wait for warmer weather for a range test, but initial romps around the neighborhood are exciting. Right out of the box the battery/Navitas combination had the cart doing 36mph in my short neighborhood blocks, and I don’t even have the dealer app [yet] or on-the-fly programmer. It looks like the default current limit setting on the controller is ~240A. I’m excited to see how it performs when I start cranking it up.

Look great. Do you recall what size (dia/thread pitch/length) you used on the battery terminal connections. I’m thinking M8 or maybe M10 on diameter.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:57 PM   #19
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

They're M6.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:27 PM   #20
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
They're M6.

Thanks. It there a length limitation? I’m thinking 20mm length would be plenty to go through a 1/0 crimp lug and have plenty of thread engagement into the terminal.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO