lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutch question on an '07 "Drive"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Yes, in 2012 Yamaha changed to new greasable (better) primary and secondary clutchs The primary is very simular to a G2 3 weight link style clutch (but still doesn't have a return spring). The secondary is one peice assy. There is a man/company that has helped Yamaha correct the 2007 to 2011 clutch problems emensly (Glen Erlandson www.erlandsontechnology.com), He is a clutch "WIZARD"! Just talking to him is a pleasure. Tom @ Cartpartsplus hooked me up with him after Tom learned Yamaha asked Glen to help. So now there are some really nice options to help the YDRA primary and secondary clutchs work as they should. Sorry Sandbagger for not mentioning this earlier, but it sounded like your sheaves are worn thru and need replacing and didn't want to give you the bad news. I have my limits for bad news. If you have more questions please ask, I'll be as honest in price and performance as I can.
Fixed the link. If you go with a new stock secondary clutch at least upgrade to the stronger spring, it forces the belt back to the top way better. Also, PM me your serial#(I want to see if yours was drilled), Yamaha had dealers drill the secondary's as a "fix" and now have found it doesn't work, but Glen came out with a "kit" to fix it. A special collar to get the secondary back into correct alighnment and the new stiffer spring. I think it works well. You can only get the "kit" thru a Yamaha daler though and if you do get the new clutch it has been drilled already so you will need it anyway.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Fixed the link. If you go with a new stock secondary clutch at least upgrade to the stronger spring, it forces the belt back to the top way better. Also, PM me your serial#(I want to see if yours was drilled), Yamaha had dealers drill the secondary's as a "fix" and now have found it doesn't work, but Glen came out with a "kit" to fix it. A special collar to get the secondary back into correct alighnment and the new stiffer spring. I think it works well. You can only get the "kit" thru a Yamaha daler though and if you do get the new clutch it has been drilled already so you will need it anyway.
Ok, next time I'm out in the garage I'll jot down the serial number. If I understand this "drilling" mod, it offset the secondary clutch, so that the belt would grab better? I don't think mine was done as the belt seems to be straight as far as my eye can see. What exactly did they drill, the shaft hole? And are you saying that all new secondary clutches have already been pre-drilled, even the "new style"?
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Yes we drilled out some material so the cltch would move closer to the transaxle. Just looked and the old style clutch is updated to the new style jw8-g6202-20-00 @ 200.00 suggested retail, not bad. I would also order the bolt 90105-08002-00, washer 90209-08018-00 and the collar jw8-g5697-20-00. I would have to check with Yamaha to see if the JW1 or the J55 drive belt should be used with the new style secondary clutch.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #14
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Did ever decide what your going to do? Did you say the moving sheave was wore and had a hole now? Is the fixed sheave still good? I have a good used moving/sliding sheave if it would help. Let me know.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Did ever decide what your going to do? Did you say the moving sheave was wore and had a hole now? Is the fixed sheave still good? I have a good used moving/sliding sheave if it would help. Let me know.
Both sides of the clutch are equally worn, and have the usual wear ridges in them. But it appears that the sheaves are too thin to effectively machine smooth again, so I'm going to eventually replace it. I might have to wait until spring when I get my tax return.......
Old 01-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Yes we drilled out some material so the cltch would move closer to the transaxle. Just looked and the old style clutch is updated to the new style jw8-g6202-20-00 @ 200.00 suggested retail, not bad. I would also order the bolt 90105-08002-00, washer 90209-08018-00 and the collar jw8-g5697-20-00. I would have to check with Yamaha to see if the JW1 or the J55 drive belt should be used with the new style secondary clutch.
I was planning on replacing the belt with a "severe duty" double ribbed Kevlar type like what Plowman offers. Would that be the best choice? Also, I looked around for the serial number, but the closest thing I found to a number was on a sticker on the engine, which starts with JR6. The tag with the model number on it, doesn't seem to have the serial number (that would make sense). Is there another place to look?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It's been a while, but now that the weather is slowly (and I do mean S L O W l Y ) warming up, and the tax return is in, I ordered a new worked over secondary clutch and performance kit from Don at Plowman's. He's really a great guy to do business with, and sure does know his carts. Now I can't wait for the stuff to come in so I can start playing.......
Old 04-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Please let us know how everything turns out and your total cost for the updated clutch. I've got a 09 drive and the clutch sheeves are grooved and worn as well. Looking for better and smoother clutching. Hoping your new setup is what I'm looking for.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #19
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
Please let us know how everything turns out and your total cost for the updated clutch. I've got a 09 drive and the clutch sheeves are grooved and worn as well. Looking for better and smoother clutching. Hoping your new setup is what I'm looking for.
Call Don at Plowman's. He can dial in the exact secondary clutch and spring based on your intended application. If you do mostly flat, smooth surface running, it'll be a different setup than pulling and steep hill climbs. It'll also be different if it's lifted and running bigger tires.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Awsome ill give him a call. I've just got a 6" jakes lift with some 12" alloy wheels and 23" tires from the dealer. Pretty much just flat riding hauling the kids around.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha