lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
Wildo
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car throttle issue under load

So i just got my first gas club car. It's a 96 model with the fe350 and has been recently rebuilt and runs great. I was just tinkering with the steps to speed it up under the "sticky" section.
I first lengthened the rod for the throttle and got the linkage set right to where it would start properly etc.. , it didnt make a significant difference.
Next i loosened the governer clamp without doing the tie-wrap around the spring yet.. and it maybe made a "small" difference.
Then i did the tie-wrap in maintenance mode and got it to hit the rev limiter, so i figured i'd take it for a spin. It ran at a very low rpm under driving conditions and wasn't fast at all, put it back in maintenance mode and it goes all the way up to the limiter and revs high, drove it again and the same low rpm crawl. I cut the tie wrap and it went back up to the speed it was at but still no real significant gain from stock.
All i have done so far is made sure the air filter was clean and made sure the throttle linkage adjustment didnt affect the parking brake and it hasn't.. any suggestions?? just wanted to wake this thing up a little.
Wildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car throttle issue under load

Welcome to BGW Wildo!
If the engine revs, but doesn't go anywhere under load, the first thing I would do is replace the drive belt, (if you haven't already)
It may be a good possibility that it's slipping due to heavy wear!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Wildo
Not Yet Wild

Ok, thanks for the welcome! yeah i don't believe its the belt because like i said it dosent rev up while driving like it does in neutral. In fact it runs about the same rpm at 1/4 throttle as it does wide open while driving but it revs fine in neutral. It does have 6" lift and 23's so maybe its just a lot to move but then again i thought it could be a carb/ fuel pressure issue. hmmm
Old 01-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
T.Hill56
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Belt and clutch wear? Clutch face cupping (How far does the belt rise on the drive clutch?) Engine alignment is also adjustable on the 96 and is critical to performance. Belt needs to rise to within 1/4 of the top of the drive clutch. Disable the clamp on the trans gov lever. You don't need the zip-tie on the spring. Make sure the primary throttle cable is not too tight. The carb CAN NOT be allowed to open before starter(therefore ignition) engagement.As long as the carb will open fully engine not running, it will open fully running. If all adjusments are correct and clutches are working properly, check compression. Could be a horsepower issue.
T.Hill56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Wildo
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks T.Hill, i will look at it some more in the morning but yeah i noticed the zip tie didnt help pull the throttle open any more so i got rid of that. I don't believe the belt is coming close to 1/4 inch to the top though, but i'll have to check again. So it could be a worn belt or the actual clutch face cupping as well? And that would keep the engine rpm's down while driving? Thanks for the advice
Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Wildo
Not Yet Wild

Took the belt off last night and it was cupped pretty bad.. measured 15/16 outer and about 3/4 inside, so almost 1/4 difference. The replacement appears to be 1" inside and out so i got one ordered, hopefully it does the trick, thanks again!
Old 03-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
smackdaddy66
Getting Wild
Club Car

Gez- solved my problem too. Thank you all!

Smackdaddy66
smackdaddy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

It's amazing how even a slightly worn drive belt can rob the performance of your cart!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car