lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
mascon
Not Yet Wild

Default ezgo electric wont move

I have a 36v electric ezgo. I think it is a txt. Problem is it has been sitting for around a year and I just put in new batteries but it quit moving. Last year the batteries started getting weak and not holding a charge for very long at all so I parked it. This year I just bought new batteries and put them in. It worked at first but didn't have the same power as when I first purchased it a couple years ago. It has a high tourque motor on that was installed before I got it and it use to go great but now even with new batts. it will barely pull a hill and after around 30 minutes of use has quit working at all. It quit a couple times but then I let it sit for a while and it moved again but nothing now. When I press the petal the solenoid engages or clicks but no movement. I am getting 37 volts to the solenoid and on the other side of the solenoid. I'm also getting 37 volts to the controller. Also were I bought this used and it was alredy set up with a higher torque motor and I think a different controller the wires have been altered. There is an orange wire coming out of the controller but its not hooked to anything. There is also a red and white wire coming from the charger recepticle that is not hooked up. Anybody know what to do?
mascon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: ezgo electric wont move

Welcome to BGW

See if you can tell us the year, and the drive system, so we can better help you, click on the link, it will help you with the year, and the pic will help you with the drive system.

http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The red/white wire at the charge receptacle must be connected to a source of 36v + before the cart will run.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
mascon
Not Yet Wild

it is a 96' txt
Old 09-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascon View Post
it is a 96' txt
TXT is the body style. What we need to know is what type motor/controller you have.

I'm not sure if EZGO used a Sepex (Separately Excited) motor in '96, but just to be sure.
If it has a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover (as shown in the chart posted by rib33024), it is a DCS (Shunt wound motor aka Sepex)
If it doesn't, it has a Series wound motor.

37V indicates your battery has little more than a 60% charge. So the first thing I would do is fully charge the battery.
Attached is a chart showing Battery Voltage vs State of Charge.

I know you've got new batteries, but it might be a good idea to measure the individual battery voltages after they are fully charged to see if any are significantly lower than the others. (They should all be about 6.37V and be within 0.1V of each other)

If you are not familiar with Deep Cycle Wet Cell batteries, go to ScottyB's website and read everything he has there on batteries, lots of good info.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

Out of curiosity, did you fully charge the batteries before use, or break them in properly?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batterytable1118242f71.jpg (43.1 KB, 12 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
mascon
Not Yet Wild

when I entered my serial # in the link above it says it is a dcs but looking at the chart above my forward/reverse and controller is a series cart and I dont have a run/tow switch so I dont know what has been done to this thing. I will have to take some pics to show everything I think.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

wouldn't be the first time I have seen a DCS cart converted to Series..... The pics will assist in identifying for sure
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The series cart has a 6 pin 4 wires controller plug in and the DCS has a 9 pin w/ 7 or 8 wires?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
wouldn't be the first time I have seen a DCS cart converted to Series..... The pics will assist in identifying for sure
This one is weirder than that. It has a Club Car F/R assembly installed.

It is a 96 Series drivetrain with screwed up wiring, cables, and components.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
mascon
Not Yet Wild

here are some picshttp://photobucket.com/albums/g479/mascon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO